2.0.13 to 2.0.14

Started by aegersz, June 09, 2017, 06:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

I'm stay on 13. no harm in that ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Illori

topic split, since your topic has nothing to do with the other.

yes you NEED to upgrade as you cant install 2.0.15 when it is released until you have installed 2.0.14.

Sir Osis of Liver

There's no harm in staying with 2.0.13, it's a clean, stable version.  As you can see from traffic on this board, 2.0.14 has bugs that may damage your forum.  When 2.0.15 is released, you can then upgrade .13 -> .14 -> .15.  My production forums will remain at .13 for now.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Steve

You'll not see any team member agree with Sir Osis about 2.0.14 having 'bugs that may damage your forum' ... and I don't want to start any arguments, just giving you an official point of view. :)

As he says though, no harm in staying at 13 for now assuming you don't want to take advantage of the changes it incorporates. We do recommend upgrading though.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Steve on June 09, 2017, 03:16:29 PM
You'll not see any team member agree with Sir Osis about 2.0.14 having 'bugs that may damage your forum' ...

Hey, Steve.   So far today, I've assisted two crashed forums in getting back to 2.0.13, and haven't even been on for an hour total.  But it's good to see you're supporting the "official point of view".  They like that.  ;)

- R. Waters

Kindred

except, in 99% of the cases, those "crashes" are from either php 5.3 or not installing the 2.0.14 coe changes into a custom theme

So, instead of taking them back to 2.0.13, the sites should be upgraded in php version or have the minor code change made to their custom theme to handle the login.

Thus, once again, indicating that you are crying wolf over issues that are not as bad as you want to make them out to be.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

I have assisted dozens of damaged/crashed forums in the years I've been here, and the one priority of the forum owners, without exception, has been to get the forum back online asap, so members don't see a trashed forum or blank screen.  That being done, then there's time to explain the problem and correct it.  In most of these instances where forums have been damaged by .14, the simplest, quickest way to get them back online is to revert to .13. 

I'm not interested in making the problems seem worse than they are, I'm only interested in helping people who come here for support, which is what I've tried my best to do in the time I've been here, with or without a badge.  Providing cover for a bad release is a disservice to SMF users, and not what support is about, imo.

-snip- unnecessary flaming

- R. Waters

Kindred

we definitely disagree.... but one thing that needs to be said... PLEASE stop saying their forums were "damaged" by 2.0.14.
2.0.14 did NOT "damage" anyone's forum.  (and quite honestly, putting one line of code in the custom theme would seem to be a faster (and overall more efficient) fix than retrograding the forum... especially since they are going to run into EXACTLY the same issue with every future version, until their fix their custom theme.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

IMO, and from forum owner's point of view, a forum is damaged if it doesn't work right, you're just splitting hairs.  But I'm sure no one wants us to debate this in open forum, and I can no longer access team boards, so let's let it go.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 09, 2017, 10:58:21 PM
-snip- unnecessary flaming

I didn't flame anyone, why did you edit my post?

- R. Waters

Arantor

I see someone else who agrees with my assessment of 2.0.14.

aegersz

sorry to start conflict. ok, I will wait until 2.0.15 then go to it via 2.0.14.

my members won't tolerate any outages so I need to be confident.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Arantor

2.0.14 will take your site down as you are on a CentOS supported build of PHP 5.3.

aegersz

Quote from: Arantor on June 10, 2017, 02:32:52 AM
2.0.14 will take your site down as you are on a CentOS supported build of PHP 5.3.

as soon as I upgrade to 14 then I will lose the forum ?

there should be a 14a upgrade for those of us on PHP 5.3 ! I am not going to upgrade from CentOS 6.7 as my site is stable.

if I can still operate the Package Manager then I don't mind but from what I read, I'm worried.

if I can go to 14 then 15 without changing PHP then I don't mind but is that right ?

Kindred

As it stands currently, the team has decided that 5.3 support will not be added to 2.0.14 and will probably not be added to 2.0.15 either - which means that all future versions of the 2.0 line will require at least php 5.4 (given that 5.3 is outdated and officially unsupported, regardless of some OS version's attempts to retrofit patches - we don't feel unjustified in making this decision)
Слaва
Украинi

aegersz

fair enough. i upgraded to php 5.4 on my dev machine and it was no drama.

i guess i was just being a bit lazy/overly worried etc.

thanks again.

vbgamer45

Yeah it is easy to upgrade PHP I recommend the higher the better. Details http://www.smfhacks.com/index.php/topic,9403.0.html
Your forum can flying fast with newer versions.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

aegersz

i understand - i just thought that 5.4 would be "safer" as it is more older and thus, more stable ... yeah, i'm overly cautious, i know.

my forum has no performance issues anyhow but 5.4 is really old too so i will give a higher version a go later.

I am on CentOS 6.7 at the moment ... I really appreciate your input, the possible security issues that you mentioned are of a concern to me, too.

THANKS !

vbgamer45

Yeah I run centos myself but I always try go for the newest PHP releases and it doesn't break SMF at all.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

aegersz

haha, the "poor man's Red Hat", i call it  :) I have gotten used to CentOS and work with Red Hat in my day job so that helps.

I will still let my host guys take an automated image of my site before i make any changes because when i first installed my server software, i foolishly ran out of memory, had no swap file yet and made a mess of my "yum" and "rpm" related libraries and files when i was adding or updating the system from the original install. I did my best to fix the errors after i moved to more RAM (and a swap file) but i still have that fear that something will render my system unusable.

aegersz

FYI, i had to fix my outstanding rpm DB issues and finally upgraded to CentOS 6.9 which picked up PHP 5.4.

now to wait for the 2.0.15 release so i can stack it on top of 2.0.14 in one go.

I have 2.0.14 running in dev and it's been fine anyway.

Advertisement: