Is it possible to change name of first poster, displayed only.

Started by richardwbb, June 14, 2017, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

I have a slight problem with a long topic in the 'backend', or should I call it 'backoffice'. I think it is backoffice.

The name of the first poster, exists, started that topic, but has left. [though it's account is alive, as a regular user]

Before I start thinking about my way of solving this, which points to vim direct sql, I wonder, where I could change, even wonder if it is possible. I expect it to be one time only. But I am not fully sure, and would be very grateful, if it would work this first [-and only], time. hkb, this is called a 'fipo' in a rather large Dutch database, not relevant. But my question equals to not touching this 'poster-name-of-registered-user', but one first post. Changing with splitting topics smf says, this isn't possible. Well okay, but, is there a way outside smf then. I respect smf, since it is 99,999% is the case.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Gluz

It's not possible to change only one message Display name, SMF retrieves the Display name of the user every time, so if it changes all posts by that user show the new Display name. If you want something else to appear there, then you will need a custom code, to add a field in the messages table for the Display name it should show, then modify the source code to retrieve that field, and modify the template to use that name instead of the current Display name of the user.

Sir Osis of Liver

If I understand correctly that you want to change the display name on one post only, I think you will have to create a new member with the desired member info, then use the mod br360 posted to change the user linked to the post from the original to the new member.  If the mod works as described, it shouldn't affect anything else.  Backup your database before you try it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

richardwbb

Glaz, thank you for giving me some technical insight on how smf exactly works. This has to compute with me and my posts on this forum are my 'notes'.
br360, thank you for your tip. I never thought of even looking for a mod.
Sir Osis of Liver, thank you for clarifying the clarifications Glaz and br360 made. I sincerly hope this mod will work, and your words made me tick.

Now let me explain what happened; [only read this if you are interested, it is administration] There is a 'bestuur' [administration], forum. As a 'Site Admin', I am with the 'administration' [and yes, Site Admin knows, haha], [they are responible for how our car club works]. I am repsonsible for the website and the forum. Now, we have a 'discussion topic' called; 'General Discussion 3.0', and it's fourty two pages long.

So, I changed this to 'General Discussion', since a '3.0', with a deleted, '2.0', doesn't make sense. Since all administration is moderator, they just won't moderate. That is a real long story [and very non-technical, even messy, haha], but I came to the realization, that they also just don't really know how to moderate.

So I stopped posting about this, since I feel they read it and still don't/ can't/ won't follow. However, now that topic was started by someone that was demoted by votes by all other 'administration members', [including the site admin], for "behaviour".

Now I am at the point, to start another discussion topic, again without numbering it, but now I've sent a PM to the head of our administration, I asked him, please start another topic for me. It looks silly that the site admin has started a topic which should be your topic [he's the leader of the administration]. Guess what. He just doesn't. Now for the SSI.php and this, my motivation is really low. Thank you for reading.

I really do hope that modification will work. And for the mean time, I let them stick with their topic, that seems to be started by someone, that we all didn't appreciate as a contributing member of our club.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

richardwbb

I've been able to solve this one, with a workaround. Because the original topic starter post, didn't contain relevance any longer [after about 40 times 15 replies over several years], I splitted that topic into two topics. The splitted topic now contained everything but the first post. This first post that now contained the original time of writing, [instead of the last time there was a reply on that topic], it 're-appeared' by it's relevant date. And that topic [first post of the original topic], I've put in to the recycle bin. So I have gained deeper understanding of moderation, and learned again that smf forum software is very robust by design. Solved.

Advertisement: