Question regarding PHP versions

Started by tdennis, June 15, 2017, 02:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdennis

Recently when I upgraded to 2.0.14 I set the PHP version to 5.4 which is what was called for. It caused a problem and I changed it to 5.6 to fix the problem. I noticed I can go as high as PHP version 7.1. Is there any benefit (or danger) in me changing to version 7.1? Do I need to do anything other than change to 7.1?
tdennis

vbgamer45

There are huge benefits I wrote an article on it http://www.smfhacks.com/index.php/topic,9403.0.html
No you don't have to change anything once you are on 2.0.14
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

If you are running scripts other than SMF on same server, they may have problems with php 7.  5.4 went eol a while ago, it's unsupported.  Currently supported versions are 5.6, 7.0, 7.1.  Using the latest, greatest version is not always a good idea (ref. SMF 2.0.14 :P).  I'm running 5.6 (it's native on my host), and will continue to do so until I need something 5.6 doesn't do.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

tdennis

Sir,
Thanks for the information. I will do the same as you, I usually don't make any changes unless I am forced to in order to correct a problem. My dad was a mechanic, he always said if it isn't broke don't try to "fix" it!
Thanks again,
Dennis

This is question has been answered/solved

Advertisement: