News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF and Bluehost Setup Help

Started by goldendoor, June 15, 2017, 09:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldendoor

Hello!

I have bluehost as my hosting service. I have downloaded the SMF files, but I cannot figure out how to install them on bluehost. I have already spoken to the tech support there, and they said that they did not understand SMF and could not help me with this. This is my first time setting up a forum.

Thank you so much for your patience with me, guys.

LiroyvH

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

goldendoor

Quote from: CoreISP on June 15, 2017, 09:37:07 PM
Have you read this article in our online manual? :)

I actually have that up right now! Where I am getting confused is with HOW to upload onto the database I have on Bluehost. Bluehost has MySQL Databases. I have the database and the database user.

Dominus Arbitrationis

Have you uploaded the files to the site?

Have you run install.php?

What part of the instructions are tripping you up? You said that you're confused with how to upload onto the database, but does that mean you're trying to put the SMF Archive file into the database (Don't do that), do you have the database and files set up correctly, but don't know where to go from there? If you can say "I followed the article CoreISP provided, but got confused when it said "Extract the archive, usually by right-clicking the archive and selecting the "Extract All" option. When the install archive is extracted, a new folder should be created with all the files and directories in the correct places."", then we can quickly figure out how to help. :)

LiroyvH

Quote from: goldendoor on June 15, 2017, 09:39:53 PM
Quote from: CoreISP on June 15, 2017, 09:37:07 PM
Have you read this article in our online manual? :)

I actually have that up right now! Where I am getting confused is with HOW to upload onto the database I have on Bluehost. Bluehost has MySQL Databases. I have the database and the database user.

So what you do is, after uploading SMF, you visit install.php.
Like yoursite.ext/smf/install.php
There you can follow the steps and it will ask for the database name, username and password. SMF will take care of the rest after that. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: