Gallery to replace Aeva Media

Started by petewadey, June 05, 2017, 07:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petewadey

I'm having a problem mass uploading files on my Aeva Media Gallery. Whilst looking for help I found this :-

"Re: General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)
« Reply #7172 on: January 04, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »
It should be noted that this mod has been removed now.
There has been a validated security issue reported regarding the mod, and given the absence of the author and the license, which prevents us from releasing an updated secure, version, we have opted to remove the mod comoletely. From our mod download site."
It is recommended that anyone currently running the mod considers removal of this mod.  There are three other gallery mods which are all currently supported by their authors (although some of them are paid mods)"

I know I'm a bit late, but I do think it may be time to replace Aeva Media with something else.
Could anyone suggest an alternative that will migrate me current files?
Thanks in advance.

Pete

vbgamer45

I have a gallery system SMF Gallery free version with basic set of features at https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=473

Or the paid version http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-gallery-pro.php

In both cases there is a convertor option for Aeva Media.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

petewadey

Antes

vbgamer45

Issue with that one there is no support all. My gallery has been around for about 10 years now and still is supported and does support SMF 2.1 as well.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 05, 2017, 08:18:36 AM
Issue with that one there is no support all. My gallery has been around for about 10 years now and still is supported and does support SMF 2.1 as well.

Who says thre is no support?

But there are things LevGal can do that SMF Gallery Pro can't, E.g. streaming large MP3 files off a shared hosting account.

vbgamer45

I am saying there is no support.  You had  a site up for a few months and then that was it. Can people still go there and get support? Are updates still being done? Now their is a somewhat of a topic here and people have have to hope that someone replies to them I can't recommend that.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

It's true I don't offer much support on it but at the same time it was a paid product given away for free because I didn't have the time to have a full time job and still develop it. I wish I had the amount of time you have for such projects.

I just feel it's posts like that which undermine the amount of work put in, though you were always critical of it, jusr like you were always critical of Aeva, because you didn't like having competition to deal with, regardless of whether the software was actually any good or not.

I couldn't provide the support paying customers deserved and with a full time schedule so I could still pay rent because LevGal never managed to cover even a month's rent let alone anything else, and in the end decided to give it away for free.

But I guess doing something nice for people was a bad idea. Wish I'd never worked on it now, you can steal the whole market for yourself.

Antes

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 05, 2017, 01:12:19 PM
I am saying there is no support.  You had  a site up for a few months and then that was it. Can people still go there and get support? Are updates still being done? Now their is a somewhat of a topic here and people have have to hope that someone replies to them I can't recommend that.

I'm sorry but you are way too aggressive in marketing. That's just sad and wrong, yet still I hardly think SM can/will do something related to this monopoly.

Quote from: Arantor on June 05, 2017, 01:26:41 PM
But I guess doing something nice for people was a bad idea. Wish I'd never worked on it now, you can steal the whole market for yourself.

I'll try to stay out of between two but I'm going to note that I'm sad to hear this. Don't let one break you, there are literally dozens of people loved to see you going "free". Hopefully one day you create a central (official) repo for the mod so we can send people to more proper place. I mean I'm still waiting for repo to go up so I can do something.

Cheer up, you did something awesome (yet again :P).

vbgamer45

The main reason why I warned against you starting that project was the marketplace for SMF changed due to less users and delays with SMF software  releases it just isn't that big anymore and you would need multiple projects to make it worthwhile. 

Most big mods need to be paid or part of a community that cares to update it. Otherwise they just don't last. I have seen many mods/people come and go.

Your gallery itself was well made maybe little over engineered in my opinion. I am more of quick release person.
Me personally I picked up SMF in college and just continue it as a hobby since I enjoy I run multiple businesses so that allows me more  freedom to work on what projects that I want to. I build a lot of projects and not all of them workout so I just move on to the next idea, but try to keep the old projects in working form.

There is not much of monopoly by my choice it's either me or smfpacks most people have moved on from SMF mods and themes honestly...I am around mainly since I still keep things updated and provide solutions for peoples forums otherwise they would be on some other forums system that can. I have invested in SMF for a long period of time, donations, advertising, and most important time.

Link to where i offered the advice a long time ago... https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525210.msg3748194#msg3748194

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

petewadey

I can't find a link for LevGal ?

Rob Lightbody

I've been using Coppermine gallery bridged with SMF for years, with no problems.

Only snags are that it looks a bit old-fashioned, and I'm not sure how confident I am in it having a long future...

lurkalot

Quote from: The QE2 Story Forum on June 11, 2017, 01:39:11 PM
I've been using Coppermine gallery bridged with SMF for years, with no problems.

Only snags are that it looks a bit old-fashioned, and I'm not sure how confident I am in it having a long future...

Well. bridging Coppermine with SMF 2.0.xx works atm, but it doesn't work with SMF 2.1  So unless we get that fixed.   ;)

Steve

I'm on team Levgal. Works beautifully and never have a problem. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: