News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

cannot log into forums; "session timed out"

Started by oh_no, June 17, 2017, 05:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oh_no

Hello!

I am very new to all this, so please don't be afraid to phrase things in simplest terms; I will not be offended. This is my first time running a forum, and my first time using a web server for anything other than a simple Web 1.0 html personal site.

I have searched the wiki and these forums for an answer, and I haven't found one, though it may exist and I simply could not parse it as such. If all you do is link an answer to me, I will still be deeply grateful.

Here is my information and my problem...

forums are at hxxp:3wishes.suniver.net [nonactive]

SMF version: 2.0.14
MySQL verson: 5.0.11
PHP version: 5.6.29

No one is currently able to log into the forums.

When I do, I get the following error: "An Error Has Occurred! Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again."

I have tried logging in from the "action=login" page, tried deleting my cookies, tried different browsers and different computers. None of the other forum members can log in via other locations.

The ones that are currently logged in can still use the forums normally and without error (that I am aware of).

I had two mods on the forums: SimplePortal, and an "extra shoutbox permissions mod".

Since I noticed the problem only after I installed the shout box mod, I tried uninstalling both that and SimplePortal with the package parser on this website, but I still get the error. It could be that the problem existed before I even installed the mods, though, and I simply didn't notice because I was perpetually logged in and had not tried logging in elsewhere for some time.

Dzonny

Hey there and welcome to SMF community!

This is common problem with custom themes which needs to be edited with a really little change manually on 2.0.14 versions.
Please follow this instruction:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=554346.msg3929401#msg3929401

If you need more details please let us know. Also please attach index.template.php, boardindex.template.php and login.template.php from your custom theme if you need additional help.

oh_no

Yes! This worked!

I'm so relieved it was such a simple fix.

Thank you very much for taking the time to point me to the right topic!

Dzonny

Always a pleasure to help, you're welcome :)

Topic marked as solved.

Advertisement: