News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Why are SMF files being set to 666 file permissions now?

Started by djkimmel, June 18, 2017, 05:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

For a while now every time I do an SMF upgrade, patch, mod install or mod upgrade all the changed/added files are set to file permissions of 666. Why is this being done? I don't want nor need anything above 644. This is the file permissions that used to be set. Any other upgrades or changes of other files/apps/software still ends up as 644.

Is there a way I can stop this behavior? I cannot find any posts talking about this exact issue or what to do about it? I don't know exactly when it started to happen but it appears to be sometime after I moved all of my SMF installs to the version 2.0 line. I don't enjoy having to go in after every change and tracking down files to fix them to 644. I also don't like the idea of trying to use scripts to change file permissions of my files either when I always start with folders at 755 and files at 644.

Any help and information on this would be appreciated.

Sir Osis of Liver

That's odd, never noticed before but it appears package manager is changing some files from 644 to 666, sometimes just the backup file, sometimes original and backup.  I'm seeing it in 2.0.13 and .14, and on other hosts as well.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

It changes so it can apply edits to files, because it can't apparently make the writes at 644 - the first check it does is is_writable, followed by a chmod upwards if it can't do it on what it has.

aegersz

I'm the only guy that uses a command line on my site.

everything is 777 and apache is chown'ed to the Web directory.

it's a tragic but beautiful thing.  :P
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Sir Osis of Liver

Some servers are blocking 777 for security reasons.  On my previous host, language installer changed forum root directory from 755 to 777, crashing forum.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: