News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Blank page after upgrade completed

Started by chelseaphil, June 21, 2017, 09:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chelseaphil

Following an upgrade from 1.11 to 2.0, when loading the forum arboleas.co.uk/forum all I get is a blank page. I tried to use repair_settings but no joy. I then checked the settings.php file and that is showing as being smf 1.1. I would have expected that to have been 2.0. Any ideas please from anyone. Thanks.

Illori

the Settings.php file does not get its version information updated, lines may be added but we dont replace or greatly modify the file.
check your server error logs to see what is causing the error.
what version of SMF did you upgrade to?
what version of php is running on the server?

chelseaphil

Thanks for reply. Upgrade was to 2.0.14 using the large upgrade. I cannot access the error log as i keep getting error 500 Tried to download it and open in notepad but no joy there either. php version is 5.6.3 according to phpmyadmin

chelseaphil

OK I managed  to get the hosting server tech guy to access the error file and this is what is showing

[21-Jun-2017 14:10:23 UTC] PHP Warning: require_once(home/arbo/public_html/forum/Sources/QueryString.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/arbo/public_html/forum/index.php on line 51
[21-Jun-2017 14:10:23 UTC] PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'home/arbo/public_html/forum/Sources/QueryString.php' (include_path='.:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/pear:/opt/alt/php56/usr/share/php') in /home/arbo/public_html/forum/index.php on line 51

Illori

does that file actually exist on the server?

chelseaphil

Illori

is your Settings.php file in the SMF root empty? if so do you have a backup you can restore?

Sir Osis of Liver

Which 1.1.x version were you running?  Do you have backups to revert to the original install?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 21, 2017, 12:44:05 PM
Which 1.1.x version were you running?  Do you have backups to revert to the original install?

they dont need to revert, they need to put the Settings.php file back in place, this is a known issue.

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm aware of a 2.0 problem that occasionally wiped Settings.php, but don't remember seeing it in an upgrade.  Is it the same glitch?

- R. Waters

Illori

Kindred

Actually, based on that Error, the system is looking in the Sources directory - which means that Settings.php is correct, present and full...

This would seem to be yet another case of a host removing files.
I know that the OP said those files were present, but the system thinks otherwise...  I am betting that the file which is present is QueryString.php~ and not QueryString.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

chelseaphil

<?php
/**********************************************************************************
* Settings.php                                                                    *
***********************************************************************************
* SMF: Simple Machines Forum                                                      *
* Open-Source Project Inspired by Zef Hemel ([email protected])                    *
* =============================================================================== *
* Software Version:           SMF 1.1                                             *
* Software by:                Simple Machines (http://www.simplemachines.org)     *
* Copyright 2006 by:          Simple Machines LLC (http://www.simplemachines.org) *
*           2001-2006 by:     Lewis Media (http://www.lewismedia.com)             *
* Support, News, Updates at:  http://www.simplemachines.org                       *
***********************************************************************************
* This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under   *
* the terms of the provided license as published by Simple Machines LLC.          *
*                                                                                 *
* This program is distributed in the hope that it is and will be useful, but      *
* WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES; without even any implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY    *
* or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.                                            *
*                                                                                 *
* See the "license.txt" file for details of the Simple Machines license.          *
* The latest version can always be found at http://www.simplemachines.org.        *
**********************************************************************************/

########## Maintenance ##########
# Note: If $maintenance is set to 2, the forum will be unusable!  Change it to 0 to fix it.
$maintenance 1; # Set to 1 to enable Maintenance Mode, 2 to make the forum untouchable. (you'll have to make it 0 again manually!)
$mtitle 'Maintenance '; # Title for the Maintenance Mode message.
$mmessage 'The forum is undergoing a major upgrade. It may be offline for a couple of days. I hope to get it all back on ASAP.'; # Description of why the forum is in maintenance mode.

########## Forum Info ##########
$mbname 'Arboleas Community Forum'; # The name of your forum.
$language 'english'; # The default language file set for the forum.
$boardurl 'http://www.arboleas.co.uk/forum'; # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)
$webmaster_email '[email protected]'; # Email address to send emails from. (like [email protected].)
$cookiename 'SMFCookie834'; # Name of the cookie to set for authentication.

########## Database Info ##########
$db_server 'localhost';
$db_name '********************';
$db_user 'a******************';
$db_passwd '****************';
$db_prefix 'smf_';
$db_persist 0;
$db_error_send 1;

########## Directories/Files ##########
# Note: These directories do not have to be changed unless you move things.
$boarddir '/home/arbo/public_html/forum'; # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
$sourcedir 'home/arbo/public_html/forum/Sources'; # Path to the Sources directory.

########## Error-Catching ##########
# Note: You shouldn't touch these settings.
$db_last_error 1422547539;

# Make sure the paths are correct... at least try to fix them.
if (!file_exists($boarddir) && file_exists(dirname(__FILE__) . '/agreement.txt'))
$boarddir dirname(__FILE__);
if (!
file_exists($sourcedir) && file_exists($boarddir '/Sources'))
$sourcedir 'home/arbo/public_html/forum/Sources';
$image_proxy_secret '7998f33a252d572b27f9';
$image_proxy_maxsize 5190;
$cachedir '/home/arbo/public_html/forum/cache';
?>

Added this in case you need to see it. As you can see it is not empty. Upgraded from 1.11. Even the maintenance page is not being displayed.
Attached photo shows ~ after almost all the files.

chelseaphil

There is a backup on the host server. But not sure how that will help the situation by reinstalling and running the upgrade again. I can het the host to reinstall the backup for me if you think it would help. Thanks for all the attention you are providing in helping solve the issue. It is appreciated.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you were actually running 1.1, you wouldn't be able to upgrade directly to 2.0, you'd have to up to 1.1.21, then to 2.0.  To do that, you would at minimum need the 1.1 database.  If you can get the original forum running again, we'd be able to see what you have.  Right now the link is throwing 500 error.

- R. Waters

chelseaphil

I have also just found out that my host server was using php7.0 They are reinstalling the website with a backup. I have reset the php on cpanel to 5.5. So the old forum should now work. However, I still want to upgrade and will endeavor to do so in stages. I will no doubt come into issues so would like to keep this thread active.

Sir Osis of Liver

As per this, 1.1.x will have problems in php 5.5.  I believe it will run with errors, but you'll need to upgrade to 1.1.21, then 2.0.13.  Don't recommend upgrading to 2.0.14, it has issues, you can try it once you get to .13 successfully. 

- R. Waters

chelseaphil

OK, I upgraded to 1.1.21 and have been running with that for 3 weeks. All going fine. Now this morning I get a message when using View unread posts. It is intermittent and repair in admin area produced the same message. I did a repair in cpanel and that appears to have worked. The message is below. What is puzlling is that despite the up`grade the database is still showing 1.1.8

Table './arbo_smf/smf_log_topics' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
File: /home/arbo/public_html/forum/Sources/RepairBoards.php
Line: 1103

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.21, while your database is at version 1.1.8. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Arantor

QuoteWhat is puzlling is that despite the up`grade the database is still showing 1.1.8

Disregard this, it is wrong.

Advertisement: