How to get rid of a mod that SMF claims has failed the Uninstallation test

Started by Raion@BV, June 21, 2017, 08:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raion@BV

Hello, everyone!

I want to get rid of a mod, but SMF won't let me.  What should I do, just scrap my entire installation and start afresh?

br360

When you say it won't let you, do you mean that you are getting errors when trying to uninstall the mod?

Raion@BV

Quote from: br360 on June 21, 2017, 08:59:32 PM
When you say it won't let you, do you mean that you are getting errors when trying to uninstall the mod?

Not quite, although I did actually have a massive error that caused my forum to fail to work entirely and show a "THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED" page.

SMF usually tests out an installation/uninstallation before asking you whether you wish to commit to the thing.  In this case, the pre-uninstallation test failed. 

forumfan32

I'd go with a fresh install. Same thing happened to me and I ended up spending 6 hours trying to debug it. Not sure what the cause is, but hopefully this is fixed in future versions.

br360

It probably shows that because you added other mods after that one, and those newer mods edited the same files/template the mod you are trying to uninstall made -making the package manager unable to uninstall properly.

Your best bet would be to go to the mod's download page, click the parse tab (choose your correct SMF version), and manually uninstall the mod by removing the edits it made to those files.

What mod are you trying to uninstall?

br360

Quote from: forumfan32 on June 21, 2017, 09:57:52 PM
I'd go with a fresh install. Same thing happened to me and I ended up spending 6 hours trying to debug it. Not sure what the cause is, but hopefully this is fixed in future versions.

That may be an option if it's a brand new forum, but not really feasible to start over for someone that has an active forum that's been around for a while. Unless you are talking about uploading a fresh set of files? That is another option as well; but by doing that, one loses all mods and any manual edits they have made to their forum- but at least they keep the database with all the members, posts, etc.

Here is some more info about how to do that- https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

Sir Osis of Liver

Package manager creates a backup before installing a mod, they're in /Packages/backups.  You can work your way back until you get to the one before the borked mod.  Download backup, unzip, upload to forum root, it will restore forum to where it was before mod install, but you would have to do this for every mod installed after the bad mod.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Raion@BV

Quote from: br360 on June 21, 2017, 10:04:07 PM
It probably shows that because you added other mods after that one, and those newer mods edited the same files/template the mod you are trying to uninstall made -making the package manager unable to uninstall properly.

Your best bet would be to go to the mod's download page, click the parse tab (choose your correct SMF version), and manually uninstall the mod by removing the edits it made to those files.

What mod are you trying to uninstall?

Latest TinyPortal.  It doesn't work with 2.0.14 and just shows a blank space where the latest posts should be.

br360

Can you post the files that are giving you warning they are going to fail in the uninstall in the tiny portal support topic? There are many people that use that mod so they can probably help walk you through how to manually uninstall the edits the mod makes to those files.

Here is a link to that support topic- https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=27642.0

skb

Quote from: Raion@BV on June 21, 2017, 11:37:43 PM
Latest TinyPortal.  It doesn't work with 2.0.14 and just shows a blank space where the latest posts should be.

We're using the latest TP with 2.0.14 without any issues.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Advertisement: