Notify user per email that his inbox is cluttered and full

Started by SMiFFER, June 23, 2017, 10:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

Is there a way to do the above?

Example:
A common bad habit is that some users become too lazy to respond to their mails and pile them up endlessly.
Before my team voted to evict a team-member I took a look into his account:
He had not even bothered to OPEN more than 40 mails despite the fact he was regularly logging in.

Let's not judge that. It is just a fact that is there.

How could I possibly auto-inform (notify) users per email that they have exceeded their quota that is defined in their membergroup?

Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Irisado

For both this topic and the other topic you've just posted, are you asking for a mod or for these to become default features of SMF?  It's rather unclear.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SMiFFER

Is _is_ clear, you must only read.

I am asking if there is a way to carry out a described task - mod or not is not the question as of now.
In all politeness, I have not even used the term "mod".
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Illori

what you are asking for is not a default feature of SMF, are you wanting this to be added to SMF or for a mod that you can install on your forum?

SMiFFER

br360

There is not a mod for this on the mod site. You can try posting this in mod requests- https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=79.0

The section you posted this in is feature requests which is basically a board where you are hoping for something to be added into the core product as a default feature.

Irisado

Quote from: SMiFFER on June 23, 2017, 11:19:55 AM
Is _is_ clear, you must only read.

I am asking if there is a way to carry out a described task - mod or not is not the question as of now.
In all politeness, I have not even used the term "mod".

It was not clear, which is why I asked the question.  There was no need for you to adopt a confrontational attitude in your response.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to ask for a mod in the section br360 has linked to in his reply above, as I doubt that this would ever be implemented as a core feature.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SMiFFER

I read only FEATURE REQUESTS - no differentiation visible to me whethere a CORE or a MOD feature.
For me it is only logic to first collect feature ideas, and THEN think of discriminating between CORE/MOD.

But thanks for info. Will do.

Steve

Quote from: SMiFFER on June 25, 2017, 10:38:05 AM
I read only FEATURE REQUESTS - no differentiation visible to me whethere a CORE or a MOD feature.

Read the description just under the board name. That should clarify whether you'd like to see it as a core feature in which you'd post here, or as a mod, in which you'd post in the mod request board.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Except it makes a huge difference.

If you're seriously expecting it as a core feature, that's not going to happen for a long time - because it won't be considered before SMF 3.0 as 2.1 is not getting new features.

Looking for it as a mod means you don't have to wait until SMF 3.0 for the developers to even consider the notion of it, let alone think about building it.

Not to mention that the dev team historically has been very resistant to doing things of the nature you're talking about.

SMiFFER

Has anybody seen a mod that offers this function?
I have so far found no such mod.

shawnb61

I haven't seen such a mod.   

We JUST HAD this discussion on my forum, as some members were getting messages kicked back. 

Note that there exists today a visual gauge-type indicator of how  full their pm inbox is.  We forgot it existed, because most of us have no limit, and the gauge isn't displayed if there is no limit...

Do you really think an email would work?   All the previous emails were ignored...   (That announced PMs.)   The gauge was ignored.   I don't think that individual uses or cares about PMs.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SMiFFER

Quote from: Steve on June 25, 2017, 10:42:43 AM
Quote from: SMiFFER on June 25, 2017, 10:38:05 AM

Read the description just under the board name. That should clarify whether you'd like to see it as a core feature in which you'd post here, or as a mod, in which you'd post in the mod request board.

In that case let's not make it a buerocratic problem again and feel free to move my post to the mod-request area.
Thanks.

@Shawn:
Can you provide a link to the "visual gauge-type indicator" you describe?

Illori

it is a default feature, there is no link to it. when you enable the limit it shows the "graph" next to the PMs so that the user can see how close they are to the limit.

6Dasher

Yet they do not get active messages stating their inbox is full and to empty it.

Why is SMF being so uptight about anything having to do with PM maintenance; even giving users a warning seems to be cause for a complete panic. SMF has already been dead in the water for a few years, and just ignoring any questions about PM maintenance on top is only adding to reasons to look elsewhere to be honest. I started a topic about solutions for auto-pruning PMs as I have several users with 500+ pms that refuse to clean up, and it was closed like I was molesting little kids.
SMF user since 2005.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

As long as I know, it has been the opinion of the team that PMs are private, so we rather not give out public information on how to access them, even to delete them. We do this basically to try and protect our users from idiots out there.

Really, PMs usually will not take much space - why keep the limit so low, if a couple of full inboxes are a problem like that?

Quote from: SMiFFER on July 06, 2017, 02:27:38 PM
Can you provide a link to the "visual gauge-type indicator" you describe?
It should be something like this, visible in a (non-admin) user's inbox, at the top.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SMiFFER

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 14, 2018, 01:55:13 PM
As long as I know, it has been the opinion of the team that PMs are private, so we rather not give out public information on how to access them, even to delete them. We do this basically to try and protect our users from idiots out there.

While this argument might sound nice, polite and politically correct, it is invalid against having a warning message as that pre-poster stated.

I really looks as if you want to evade to discuss the actual demand of the community by throwing such dazzle grenades.

It escapes me why we (the actual users outside) should then post feature requests at all.

And just as precaution: I do in no way intend to attack you. I just hate such evading answers - also by politicians of this "policital correct"-type, too.

Kindred

it's not an evading or even a political or polite answer.... 

We do not mess with users' personal messages.
We do not discuss how to read them or how to delete them.

Notifying the user that their mailbox is full might be a valid use case... 

but SMF 2.0 has been feature locked for a long time.
SMF 2.1 is close to RC and thus is also feature locked at this time.

So, if you want this for 2.0 or 2.1, your bets bet is to ask for a mod, not a feature.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: SMiFFER on February 16, 2018, 09:08:07 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 14, 2018, 01:55:13 PM

While this argument might sound nice, polite and politically correct, it is invalid against having a warning message as that pre-poster stated.
It was actually not an answer to you or your request, it was a direct answer to 6Dasher based on earlier discussions with them on the same topic.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SMiFFER

Advertisement: