News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

b a t m a n

Started by Shambles, June 23, 2017, 11:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Because the idiot user kept referring g to himself in the third person as atma n and it was really really really annoying to read
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

So, it's annoying. Why is that a big deal? Why should thousands of other members have to put up with a restriction because of one knucklehead? Warn him and if it continues, up the warning. Don't make the rest of us have to change what we do just because he's annoying.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

The same argument could have been made about the previous situation, although the circumstances were somewhat different where a specific URL was censored and so was a specific person's name.

I didn't find sangham THAT annoying, beyond a certain point I just ignored him entirely, seemed easiest.

Illori

the user has not made a post in over a year. maybe this censored word could be removed. at this time it would not make sense to warn the user due to the time away from the forum.

Steve

Quote from: Illori on June 26, 2017, 07:28:06 AMthe user has not made a post in over a year. maybe this censored work could be removed.

Exactly my point in my first post so +1.

Irisado

Quote from: Steve on June 26, 2017, 06:56:22 AM
So, it's annoying. Why is that a big deal? Why should thousands of other members have to put up with a restriction because of one knucklehead? Warn him and if it continues, up the warning. Don't make the rest of us have to change what we do just because he's annoying.

He was warned, he was banned on more than one occasion, and he was repeatedly asked not to behave in this manner.  He disrupted numerous topics, irrited multiple members of the community, was disrespectful and sexist towards female team members, and he became extremely irritating to deal with.  Censoring his references to himself in the third person was, finally, one of the measures which did have an impact and reduced his activity here.  Given that the censor only affects a particular combination of four letters, I say that we let it stand.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Arantor

Because bans don't work?

Shambles

My flatmate is a hatmaker.

His seatmate in the shop is a boatman.

They are both Mahatmas and enjoy watching batman movies.

Arantor

Although possibly less typical here...

Steve

Quote from: Irisado on June 26, 2017, 08:38:11 AMGiven that the censor only affects a particular combination of four letters, I say that we let it stand.

And I disagree. So, if he's not here for another year, we should still keep the censoring? For pete's sake, how hard is it to re-censor the letter combo IF he comes back and causes problems?

I shouldn't have to find innovative ways or jump through hoops to type a non-offensive word like b*a*t*m*a*n, or any other word for that matter just because of one idiot.

青山 素子

Quote from: Arantor on June 26, 2017, 07:11:49 AM
The same argument could have been made about the previous situation

Talking about the crazy spaceman guy?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kindred

No... the crazy religious one
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Quote from: Kindred on June 27, 2017, 12:39:14 AM
No... the crazy religious one

No, gri was annoying as heck but banned, never censored to my knowledge.

The previous situation I referred to where censoring occurred relates to the... situation of .January 2010 where censoring was used because someone didn't like their name being used.

Steve

Make a decision about it Illori (or whoever makes censoring decisions) and I'll shut up. :)

Irisado

Quote from: Steve on June 26, 2017, 04:54:23 PM
And I disagree. So, if he's not here for another year, we should still keep the censoring? For pete's sake, how hard is it to re-censor the letter combo IF he comes back and causes problems?

I shouldn't have to find innovative ways or jump through hoops to type a non-offensive word like b*a*t*m*a*n, or any other word for that matter just because of one idiot.

If you'd had to deal with him as a moderator or Team member, I think that you'd be far less inclined to do anything that would be of benefit to him, even though he is currently inactive.  Regarding your second point, the fact that he was censored over two years ago and this is the first time that anyone has noticed demonstrates that it's not an issue to leave the censor in place.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Arantor

If he was such a problem, why not just ban him and be done with it, rather than actually doing things that make the site slower for everyone? (The ban will be cheaper when amortised over all the page views compared to the censoring ;D)

Irisado

He was banned, more than once, for fixed periods of time.  Permanent bans aren't necessarily the best way of handling troublesome members, as you'll be aware of and as you alluded to earlier in this discussion ;).

Arantor

I'm sorry, your sarcasm detector is broken.

If he is really that much of a problem, ban permanently.

Steve

Advertisement: