News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Won't stay logged in

Started by turboguy, June 23, 2017, 12:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Yeah, that's his old website.  The new one is at http://www.hydroseeding.org/jcms, which links to new forum.  I'm not involved in the website, whoever's doing it is having a bad week, and I've had to work around it.  The old forum is at http://www.hydroseeding.org/forum, which I've redirected to http://www.hydroseeding.org/jcms/forum.  It was a mess, but I believe the forum is running ok now.  Waiting for feedback from OP.

Thanks for having a look, Mick, I'm pretty much out here on my own since I left the team.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

lurkalot

No worries, told you I was following it. lol.. Obviously not closely enough.  :-[

Actually Clicking the Big end users button on that new front page, on the page it lands on it has a link in this text,

"◾Visit our Discussion Forum and ask any questions you want about HydroSeeding. You can get information about HydroSeeding and also get answers to your questions from some of the most experienced HydroSeeding contractors around. Our forum members are friendly, helpful and there is no such thing as a dumb question on our forum. We are all there to help you."

That link still takes you to, http://hydroseeding.org/jcms/forumindex.php?action=forum

turboguy

Wow, yes, it seems like the forum is working great now.  I haven't had time to check it out in all options (different browsers and logged in and not yet) but it does seem like everything is 100%.

Actually I think I am having a tougher week than the web site guy.  I just asked him to not do anything other than I had him put the redirect back once a few days ago. 

I am at a big handicap since I would know a redirect if one bit me and I really appreciate having help.  The issue I have now is that we seem to have a choice of having a forum or having the new web site.  Up until a month ago we were able to have both.  I am guessing that if I ask the guy who did the web site for help with this he will put the redirect back and we will lose the forum.  I know this is more his responsibility but being reasonably clueless I would like to ask if you have any suggestions on this.

One side note in an email with the web site guy he casually mentioned he had copied the forum files to the new directory at one point in time.  I was going to ask him today if that was when he first set up the web site which was over a year ago or if this was recent such as 3 or 4 weeks ago when our problem started.  Running two copies of the forum software seems like it could be part of our issues but if this was done when our problems started it might give some credibility to that being part of the issue.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Sir Osis of Liver

The files he copied to /jcms were 2.0.3-2.0.4, different attachments directory, no idea where he found them.  There are a lot of backup dirs and subdirs in your account, some of which contain forum files (there's at least one old 1.1 install).  The image problem was due to someone changing the image links in SP and Ad Mod from straight links -> image files to action links -> attachments.  No idea when or why that was done.  Running two forum installs in different directories is not causing any problems.

Nothing needed to be done to the forum.  The new website, wherever it's installed, just has to link to it, the forum shouldn't have been touched.  If you can leave everything as is until tonight, will see what I can do.

Update:  On my way out, but did a quick redirect to new website - http://hydroseeding.org.  Try the forum link on homepage.  There are still links to old website on forum, will have to find them all.  No time to check it throughly, will do that tonight.

- R. Waters

turboguy

I will keep my fingers off the keyboard when it comes to the site.  Sounds great. 

Sir Osis of Liver

Take a look around, check everything on the forum and website.  Forum seems to be fine.  As for the website, don't know what's being done by your webdev.  There's a banner link on forum that goes to IAHP application form on old website, and a Join/Renew link on new website that goes to much different application page.  Which one do you want forum banner to go to?

- R. Waters

lurkalot

Is there still some sort of redirect going on? 

On this page, http://hydroseeding.org/jcms/index.php/about/benefits/item/81-lorem-ipsum-dolor-sit-amet Screenshot added below,

There's two links that are pointing to http://hydroseeding.org/jcms/forum/index.php?action=forum Shown when I hover over the links.  But if you click on either of them, you'll be taken to the link with the typo in it,

http://hydroseeding.org/jcms/forumindex.php?action=forum

turboguy

Well lots of good questions here and I will try and answer as best I can.   The banner link on the forum that goes to the old site was my goof.  I just forgot to change it but once all is settled I will fix that. 

The link to the old URL for the forum on the homeowner page was also my fault.  I just forgot about that one.  I had changed the link in the menu bar a month ago to point the menu button to the subfolder but missed any other links.  One I forgot was the button on the home page which the web developed changed but I think we just missed the one on the contractor page.

I have asked the web developer not to touch anything for the moment.  Of course he is in Chicago and I am near Pittsburgh so I don't have a good handle on if he has touched anything.  I know my wife tells me I never listen so who knows.   ::)

At the moment it seems like the new website is showing but I can't seem to access the forum. 

lurkalot

Quote from: turboguy on July 01, 2017, 08:46:57 AM
Well lots of good questions here and I will try and answer as best I can.   The banner link on the forum that goes to the old site was my goof.  I just forgot to change it but once all is settled I will fix that. 

The link to the old URL for the forum on the homeowner page was also my fault.  I just forgot about that one.  I had changed the link in the menu bar a month ago to point the menu button to the subfolder but missed any other links.  One I forgot was the button on the home page which the web developed changed but I think we just missed the one on the contractor page.

I have asked the web developer not to touch anything for the moment.  Of course he is in Chicago and I am near Pittsburgh so I don't have a good handle on if he has touched anything.  I know my wife tells me I never listen so who knows.   ::)

At the moment it seems like the new website is showing but I can't seem to access the forum.

OK, well the forum works for me.  What link are you clicking to get to it?

turboguy

Now this strikes me as really strange.   Using IE or Opera everything seems to work beautifully.  Using chrome if I click either the link on the menu bar or the block link to the forum it just seems to bring me back to the web site home page.

Sir Osis of Liver

Will have a look after I finish my rounds.  The forum link on new homepage is correct and works fine in IE and FF.  Have you cleared Chrome?  It may be caching old redirects.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: lurkalot on July 01, 2017, 06:52:10 AM
Is there still some sort of redirect going on? 

On this page, http://hydroseeding.org/jcms/index.php/about/benefits/item/81-lorem-ipsum-dolor-sit-amet Screenshot added below,

There's two links that are pointing to http://hydroseeding.org/jcms/forum/index.php?action=forum Shown when I hover over the links.  But if you click on either of them, you'll be taken to the link with the typo in it,

http://hydroseeding.org/jcms/forumindex.php?action=forum

Hmm, aside from the fact that there is no action=forum (link should work anyway), redirect works for /forum but not /forum/index.php.  Will try to fix that.  Not seeing a url with missing '/'.

- R. Waters

turboguy

Yep, I tried clearing Chrome.  I don't think it is picking up a cached redirect.   We seem to be really close now.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, tinkered with .htaccess, can't find any links that don't work in IE or FF.  All redirects are in root /.htaccess, I've deleted or disabled all other .htaccess files.  The forum links in the new website should be changed, but the one's I've found are redirecting correctly.  Topic links from old to new forum also work.  I've renamed old /forum to /forum_old, so it's effectively disabled, any links that still go there and don't redirect will 404.  I don't install Google software on my computer, so can't check Chrome, but it should work.  .htaccess is executed server side, it should work (or not work) the same in all browsers.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 01, 2017, 04:06:32 PM
Hmm, aside from the fact that there is no action=forum

I take that back, there is a 'forum' action in the main array.  It's not core, must have been added by portal mod.

- R. Waters

lurkalot

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 01, 2017, 06:19:56 PM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 01, 2017, 04:06:32 PM
Hmm, aside from the fact that there is no action=forum

I take that back, there is a 'forum' action in the main array.  It's not core, must have been added by portal mod.

Correct.  Although, normally if integrating a forum into a website you would only need to use the portal for adding extra blocks, and or pages, and not use the portal's home page as well.  The way it's used now it has two home buttons which do different things. One on the main site and one on the forum tabs.  Effectively two websites.

turboguy

I seem to still have issues with Chrome.  The links on the main web site won't take me to the forum but redirect to the home page.  Even it I type the correct URL for the forum in directly it takes me to the web site home page.   Everything seems to work fine in other browsers. 

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 01, 2017, 05:45:58 PM
.htaccess is executed server side, it should work (or not work) the same in all browsers.

- R. Waters

turboguy

I tried it on a different computer that had never accessed the forum or the site but did have Chrome and it worked fine.  I think it is my computer.  I just marked the topic solved.   Thank you and everyone that helped so much.  I really appreciate it.

Advertisement: