News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Won't stay logged in

Started by turboguy, June 23, 2017, 12:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboguy

We recently upgraded our forum and are running 2.0.13.  Since the upgrade when you click "always stay logged in" it won't keep you logged in.  I did a search before posting this and tried the suggestions that I found but nothing seems to be working.

I have gone to Server Settings/Cookies & Sessions and tried both enable local storage and enable subdomain independent cookies.   This seemed to have no effect.

I tried renaming the cookie as well.  It was set for SMF Cookie 11.  I changed that to 21 which seemed to do nothing so I have changed it back.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Sir Osis of Liver

Running any mods?  Which version did you upgrade from?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

turboguy

Anti-Bot Registration Puzzles   1.2   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Aeva Media   1.4w     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   Google Translate for SMF 2.0   1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   JDALIP - Join Date And Location In Posbit   1.3.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   Ad Managment   3.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   SimplePortal   2.3.6     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   Board Viewers Mod   1.2.1.1b     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   Google Analytics Code   1.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   Users Online Today   2.0.2 

I believe the upgrade was from 2.02.   

The Domain Shop

Have you cleared your browsers cache to see if that works or tried an alternative browser?

To be honest i don't know why upgrading would cause this but it's got to be worth a shot :P

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you patch from 2.0.2 to 2.0.13 with package manager, or use upgrade package?

- R. Waters

turboguy

Actually there were a few other issues so I had someone from here do it and would have to ask them for that answer.  My package manager didn't seem to work right and I asked them to do a clean install on it. 

I don't think it is a problem with a browser.  I have tried with IE Opera and Chrome and have the same problem and have cleared the cache. 

There is something else that could be the issue and I am trying to think about how to word that.  I will post that in a few minutes. 

turboguy

I think it just dawned on me why I am having the problem and I will try and explain it as best I can but I am not the smartest guy in the world when it comes to these things.

Our forum is tied in with our web site.  Last year we had someone build a new site for us using Joomla and he built it in a sub directory.  Not long age we were having a problem with the old site showing up on a google search so he did some modifying.  When he did this the URL for the forum changed to that sub directory.  When I think about it the problem may have started when he did whatever changes he did and the URL for the forum changed to the sub directory.

So I am wondering if SMF can't find the cookies because it is looking in the old directory?  Basically I am wondering if I need to change something in Databases and Paths which is not an area I would want to fool with without knowing for sure.

As I said I am not the brightest when it comes to these things so if that doesn't make sense I apologize.

Kindred

Yes, when you change the directory of the Forum you must change the directory settings of the Forum. This includes the Url and the paths. Also, if your cookie is set to local cookies then logging in from a path that is not your Forum path will cause the cookie to fail
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

turboguy

Thanks so much for the help.  You guys are great and the wonderful help here is one of the reasons I converted from vBulletin to SMF ages ago.

Now since if I did this wrong I could really make a mess let me ask if I am correct in what I should change.  I am assuming if I did this wrong I might not be able to access the control panel to change it again but perhaps I am overthinking so anyway.    Keeping in mind that the forum works perfectly except people can't stay logged in. 

The old URL for the forum was hydroseeding.org/forum
The new URL for the forum is hydroseeding.org/jcms/forum

in "server settings/ data bases and paths in the bottom section it now says. 

Forum URL    http://forum.hydroseeding.org    Am I correct I should change that to http://jcms/forum.hydroseeding.org or would it be http://jcms.forum.hydroseeding.org       ????

Then

SMF Directory     is now      /home/turboguy/public_html/forum    Should that one now be /home/turboguy/public_html/jcms/forum

Then Sources Directory  is now       /home/turboguy/public_html/forum/Sources   should that one be changed to /home/turboguy/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources     

Cache Directory is now         /home/turboguy/public_html/forum/cache    should that one be changed to /home/turboguy/public_html/jcms/forum/cache

I do think I had better do a backup before I change anything. 

Illori

use What is repair_settings.php? to fix all the paths and URLs. it should tell you what they need to be.

Sir Osis of Liver

Have you run repair_settings.php?  You have two forum installs, both connected to same database.  IIRC, your original forum was at http://hydroseeding.org/forum/, which now redirects to a website at http://hydroseeding.org/jcms/.  The new forum install is at http://hydroseeding.org/jcms/forum/, that's the url you need in Settings.php.  Looks like your current Settings.php in new install is loading the forum from the old install.

- R. Waters

turboguy

I do think the problem has been identified and I have started to work on it  (backed up forum and downloaded repair settings) and as soon as I get a chance will be trying to see if I can get it run and hopefully that will fix the problem.  I will post the results.  I really appreciate the help and advice.

turboguy

I have uploaded and run the repair settings file.  Let me see if that fixes the problem.  It might be a day or two until I know but once I see if the problem is fixed I will post again.  Thanks once again for the help.

turboguy

Early results are not good.  It seems to have the same problem but the forum seems a bit funky now.  For example clicking the log in button sometimes seems to take me to forgotten email.   Too early to tell much but the settings in the control panel seem unchanged.

Sir Osis of Liver

Just got on, will take a look.

You've crosslinked the two installs, I'll try to fix it manually.

Ok, try it now.

- R. Waters

turboguy

Wow, just did a quick check and it seems to be fine now.   I won't be online to check more till later tonight but it seems good. 

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you.

turboguy

Well good news and bad news.  The login part which was my original problem seems to be working perfectly.

The bad news is there seems to be some glitches in the portal now.  Oddly enough on my work computer it seems pretty much OK in Chrome and seems to be a mess in IE.  On my home computer using IE half the portal stuff shows and some of it is missing.  I didn't check using chrome at home.  I took a quick look at it and could not see anything wrong. 

Sir Osis of Liver

Not just the portal, bottom of pages are cut off in IE11.  Can't see copyright, but checked a few files and looks like you're running 2.0.4 in php 5.4.  I have a partial backup of your forum files from Sep 2016, which includes /Themes and /Sources.  Have you made any changes since then?

Just looked at your /forum install, it's running 2.0.13.  /jcms/forum appears to be a much older set of files.  No idea how you got there, but if /forum is a good install, you should download those forum files and upload them to /jcms/forum.  I see the portal problem on both installs, but that's a separate issue. 

- R. Waters

turboguy

Other than on the portal one Custom HTML block was added, the one that still shows up and that is about it.  I don't think there were any other changes at least that I can recall. 

Sir Osis of Liver

I have the 2.0.13 forum running at /jcms/forum, it has to be reached using the subdomain, a direct link keeps looping back to /jcms.  Everything seems to be working except the images in the right top portal block and footer.  When you login, images load normally, and remain if you logout, it's only when you first get there that they don't show.  The images are loading from the subdomain, not sure why.  If I disable the redirect and link directly to /jcms/forum, same thing happens.  I believe it has to do with the subdomain setup.  Also, the link on your website loops back, you have to change it to subdomain.

Now I can't get to the forum by direct link or subdomain unless I remove redirect.  Is someone working on the website?

- R. Waters

Advertisement: