Upgrade to 2014 broke my SMF with Fatal Errors

Started by OreoPhil, June 26, 2017, 08:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OreoPhil

I am getting two errors when I try to access my forum: clarinetpages.info [nofollow].

Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /home/clarinet/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 142

Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /home/clarinet/public_html/smf/upgrade.php on line 854

I can access those lines in the Control Panel of the site, but don't know what to put there. I sure hope you can help!

br360

What is your php version? You need to make sure you are running at least 5.4

Also, upgrade.php should have been deleted after you upgraded. What version did you upgrade from?

OreoPhil

I upgraded from 2013, I believe.

I have deleted the upgrade.php.

OreoPhil

My PHP version:  5.6.30.

My site is still showing the fatal error message.

Thanks for your answer, I hope you or someone can help solve this. I did do a backup before I hit the button for the upgrade.

vbgamer45

I would create a test php script and run on your hosting. I have seen some cases where the the reported version is different that what the files are running under

<?php
phpinfo
();
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

br360

Did you actually upgrade from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 (running the large upgrade zip), or did you go into your package manager and patch from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14?

OreoPhil

I upgraded by executing a script at my hosting service. My hosting service uses Softaculous within the control panel, and within that I saw that I could do an upgrade.

Is it possible that manually running the 2.0.14 zip could fix things? How do I install it?

I'm pretty sure about the PHP version now. There is a place within the CPanel to change version, and it says this:

PHP 5.5.38
   PHP 5.6.30 - System Default
   PHP 7.0.20
   PHP 7.1.6
So I am using the system default, since I never have changed it. I have not run the little command though, because I don't know how to do that.
Thanks for help so far.

Kindred

yeah... that's always a potential issue.
We never recommend using any of those auto-installers.... because you have no idea what they are actually doing to your installation.
In your case, it attempted to upgrade by replacing all of the files - and thus removing any of your mods (except the ones that user hooks, which can lead to half-installed mods)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

br360

You should go back and restore from your earlier back up which should get you back to where you were before the upgrade. Then you can go into your package manager and patch from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14

Then you can go into softaculous and make sure to disable auto updates/upgrades- https://www.softaculous.com/docs/Disable_Auto_Upgrade

OreoPhil

Thanks for your help!!!

I contacted support, and your idea about the PHP version was RIGHT. It had not been set, evidently. So just that fixed it.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: