News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Difficulty Adding Board Logo

Started by newbieforumaster, July 11, 2017, 03:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbieforumaster

Hi how do I add a board logo to my forum? I read the wiki and attempted myself but I am having difficulty though.

Here is what I typed for the image links (see attachments)

Also speaking of logos I put a gif for my avatar but it is not working. (I enabled gifs) I used to have a mybb forum with that same issue.

Is this something with my host?

Thanks

newbieforumaster

Great thanks :) Maybe I should make a new thread but my avatar gifs are not working. Could it be a server issue? (I enabled gifs)

Thanks

br360

Did you download the gif to your computer and then upload it? Try checking the option to Specify avatar by URL and then link the gif's url into the box that appears.

Illori

what do you mean they are not working?

newbieforumaster

The issue is that I have a gif of a spinning dice. But it won't spin. I had this problem with my mybb forum. Could it be a host issue?

Here are the avatar configuration options below. (see attachments)

What do I select to get the gif working?

Thanks  :)

lurkalot

Quote from: newbieforumaster on July 12, 2017, 02:08:21 AM
The issue is that I have a gif of a spinning dice. But it won't spin. I had this problem with my mybb forum. Could it be a host issue?

Here are the avatar configuration options below. (see attachments)

What do I select to get the gif working?

Thanks  :)

I the gif is bigger than the allowed size set in the avatar settings then it'll get resized and displayed as a static image.  Make sure the gif is same size or smaller than the permitted size.

newbieforumaster

I got the gif to spin BUT the gif only spins halfway and stops. It does NOT loop. How do I fix this? The same issue of the gif starting and stopping happened on my mybb forum. Is it a host issue at this point?

Thank you for your help :)

Illori

can you provide a link to the gif so we can look into the issue further?

newbieforumaster

I am using the spinning dice gif from http://www.animatedimages.org/cat-dice-710.htm?page=1

(heres the image I want to use)

Arantor

If it happens on both SMF and MyBB, the problem isn't the code but your browser. Seems to work fine in Chrome for me.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

newbieforumaster

It works temporarily in chrome and safari for me. The dice spins once and then stops permanently when I refresh a page the same behavior repeats.

Illori

can you try it on another computer?

Shambles

^ and try Chrome in incognito mode

newbieforumaster

Illori

did you try on another computer? several of us have confirmed it works correctly, so it is something on  your computer.

newbieforumaster

(Sorry to bump) I tried on a different computer (ipad) but no luck :(

Sir Osis of Liver

Works for me.

If you upload it, you lose the animation.  If you link to it it works.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

newbieforumaster

Ok :) But how do I make it animate by simply uploading it and NOT linking to it?

Sir Osis of Liver

If you resize it to 100x100, you can upload it and it will work (I've just done that).  If it's larger than 100x100, it gets resized and converted to png, so you lose the animation.

- R. Waters

newbieforumaster

I tried that but no luck. Since it worked for you, could it be a host issue at this point? I even tried other computers and browsers.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you've resized it to 100x100, try uploading it to your profile here.

- R. Waters

newbieforumaster

It won't work for me :( What am I doing wrong?

lurkalot

Quote from: newbieforumaster on July 15, 2017, 02:39:46 AM

How id you resize it.  You cant just stick a animated gif in a photo editor and resize it, as it will only resize the top layer and give that back to you.  Use a resize tool for this purpose, such as this online one, http://gifgifs.com/resizer/

On your site the avatars are set to use 65x65 pixels anything bigger will get resized as displayed as a static image, It has to be same size or smaller.

Kindred

Depends on how the site deals with images... if the gif gets resized, it will lose anination
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lurkalot

Quote from: Kindred on July 15, 2017, 08:23:06 AM
Depends on how the site deals with images... if the gif gets resized, it will lose anination

Actually, what I said was based on the settings the OP gave us in the screenshot here, https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=555083.msg3935135#msg3935135

Johnny54

Attached the avatar in 99x99 pixels and 65x 65 pixels.
Try these on your forum.

Kindred

Quote from: lurkalot on July 15, 2017, 09:11:59 AM

Actually, what I said was based on the settings the OP gave us in the screenshot here, https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=555083.msg3935135#msg3935135

Sorry, lurkalot...  I actually didn't see your post (or the seocnd page of posts at all) when I made my post. :)
My post was in response to this:

Your post answered it more detailedly...

another note...  if you use https/ssl, the proxy MIGHT also end up losing animation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lurkalot

Quote from: Johnny54 on July 15, 2017, 09:48:45 AM

Attached the avatar in 99x99 pixels and 65x 65 pixels.
Try these on your forum.

Yes those will work nicely on here and on the OP's site.  I did do this to test them myself but didn't post them due to terms of use from the original source, Tbh, I wasn't sure if redistribution was permitted.

Quote from: Kindred on July 15, 2017, 09:54:04 AM
Quote from: lurkalot on July 15, 2017, 09:11:59 AM

Sorry, lurkalot...  I actually didn't see your post (or the seocnd page of posts at all) when I made my post. :)
My post was in response to this:

Your post answered it more detailedly...

another note...  if you use https/ssl, the proxy MIGHT also end up losing animation.

No need to apologise.  I wasn't sure who it was directed at, but as it was following my post I just assumed.

Advertisement: