News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Users Online Today Mod

Started by Nibogo, November 06, 2005, 01:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juggler

OK, found my problem. For some reason it had not added the txt strings to the Modifications English file. Stuck them in and all is well with the world.
The Blue Buzzards
Flying Scooter Display Team
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Vinspire^

Glad to hear that Juggler  :D :D :D

DVD_GR

seeking for 1.07 version,does something exist???

Bigguy

geezmo

I'm using Default Theme, SMF ver. 1.1RC2. Successfully installed this without any prob, but the list does not appear in the info Center. Do I need to activate this somewhere or edit some templates to make this work?

Vinspire^

What list doesn't appear in info center ?

geezmo

The Online Users Today list. That's supposed to appear below the "Users Online" list right, as in your post in Post #295 of this thread? Or do I still need to edit some template?

Vinspire^

Quote from: geezmo on May 08, 2006, 05:44:14 AM
The Online Users Today list. That's supposed to appear below the "Users Online" list right, as in your post in Post #295 of this thread? Or do I still need to edit some template?

I thought you said the mod had been installed successfully ?

Bigguy

If you have a custom theme you will have to edit template files.

geezmo

I have the Default theme. The mod was supposedly successfully installed but all I see in the Info Center is this:

QuoteUsers Online
Users Online    x Guests, x Users
Users active in past 15 minutes:
xxxxxx
[More Stats]
Most Online Today: x. Most Online Ever: x (May x, 2006, xx:xx PM)

Shouldn't I have another line for Users Logged In Today like in HERE?

scottws

I have the exact same behavior as geezmo:

• SMF 1.1 RC2
  • default Core theme
  • Users Online Today mod 1.4.0 beta 2
  • Installed automatically via SMF's package manager
  • All tests were successful
  • Package reported successfully installed when applied
  • No change to the board index. "Users Online Today" section does not exist

scottws

Turns out it was a permission issue.

I tried uninstalling the mod, and every test failed.  It then said I didn't have permissions in the Packages directory, or one of its files.  The permissions on Packages was 777, so I don't know how that can be.

I ended up nuking the forum and installing a backup.  Then I chmodded the entire forum to 777 and it installed and displayed ok.

Edit: Well, not wanting my whole forum with all directories and files set with permissions of 777, I wiped out the whole forum and restored a recent backup.

The thing is, I can't figure out why it's not working.  Every file and directory is owned by user "smf" and group "forum," and that's the user/group combination I'm using to install/uninstall.  I did look at the owner of the files again, and some were "www-data."  I ran a chown -R smf.forum *.

Then I tried installing the mod again, this time without the crazy all 777 permissions.  I experienced the same behavior as before:  it claimed to install just fine, but it wasn't there and it won't uninstall. When I attempt to uninstall it, I get the following message:

QuoteYou cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Well, the Packages folder is owned by smf.forum, and has 777 permissions set.  Inside, the backups folder is also 777. installed.list, smf_patch-1.0.7-1.1RC2-1.tar.gz, and Users_Online_Today_1.4.0_beta_2.zip have 666 permissions.  index.php is the only thing that does not have write permissions.  It's permissions are 644.

So I don't know what it is talking about since the requisite files have the proper write permissions.

I followed this guide to set permissions: http://www.activewebhosting.com/faq/scripts-simplemachines.html

So basically all permissions are the standard 755 for directories and 644 for files, except:

• All directories except Sources are set at 777
  • The following files were set to 666: Packages/installed.list (as previously mentioned), Packages/server.list, agreement.txt, Settings.php, and Settings_bak.php.p

Is there some better guide on how to set file and folder permissions so packages installed via the package manager actually work?  I was going to try to install the package manually, but all that it contains are two XML files which seem to sort of work automatically.

Bigguy

Is the backup folder inside the packages folder also chmodded to 777

scottws

Quote from: Bigguy on May 08, 2006, 11:46:23 PM
Is the backup folder inside the packages folder also chmodded to 777

Yes:

Quote from: scottws on May 08, 2006, 11:02:56 PMWell, the Packages folder is owned by smf.forum, and has 777 permissions set.  Inside, the backups folder is also 777.

scottws

I changed my ownership on all files and directories to www-data.www-data, which is what Apache2 runs as.  This solved my problem.

geezmo

So it's now working on your forum, scott? You installed then uninstalled then changed permissions then installed the mod again?

scottws

I have a recent backup of the forum, so I kept testing the installation and uninstallation.  When it broke or failed, I just nuked the whole forum and restored the backup.

The only ways I was able to get it to work were to chmod the whole forum to 777 or to chown to www-data.www-data (previously was owned by smf.forum). Following the guides I saw for setting certain folder and file permissions to 777 and 666 and then using the user "smf" FTP login information in the package manager did not work.

scottws

Hmm...

It correctly works on the default theme:

But following beemer's instructions to get this mod working on Helios resulted in the same thing Vinspire^ is experiencing:

Viceroy

Are there any plans to make this mod available for 1.0.7 by any chance?

geezmo

at least, scott, something's showing in your forum. in mine (Default Theme, 1.1RC2), the mod was supposedly successfully installed but nothing appears.

Advertisement: