News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Why not do the aggressive moderation thoroughly?

Started by Arantor, May 29, 2017, 07:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiroyvH

Whatever :) I'll bite.

Take a step back and have a look at the progression here... Rather than even giving it a chance and be patient, you decide it's somehow a better idea to, in less than 24 hours, start making negative (and rarher irrelevant) posts about how poorly the team allegedly functions; and you've already decided for yourself that there will never be an outcome. There's no patience and no willingness to even give us the chance to discuss this report, you already assume it's lost... Let me repeat: all this in less than 24 hours after we said we're picking it up and will be looking in to it. If you posted this after a while of waiting, you'd have a point.

But if you believe this currently is constructive, helpful and showing that you care: then I'd urge you not to show your affection. :P
I know you sincerely care for SMF, but these kind of repetitive negative posts really aren't helpful in any way at all.

I'll repeat: please be patient, and you've been promised an update. Is waiting for that too much to ask? :)
We go a long way, and you know me... I tend to live up to what I promise. (Yes sometimes with a minor delay, no denying that, but this is a volunteer job after all. ;))
If a little patience and getting the chance to look at this is too much to ask, then by all means let's just mark this topic as resolved...

... Or, be constructive and positive! Give us a chance before assuming all is hell and despair. ;)
"Thanks for taking it seriously guys, I'm looking forward to hear the results of your discussion!" - sure, you're welcome. ;)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Arantor

I'm still looking forward to hearing the results of your discussion.

Arantor

LiroyvH

Yes, we've taken this opportunity to look at multiple facets of moderation rather than limit it to a single scope.
Essentially, for the time being we're going to do the opposite of what you suggested. Moderation in the current context will actually be more lenient.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Arantor

That's not the opposite of what I suggested. I was suggesting that if it is going to be aggressive, automate it and be consistent.

This is just getting everyone be consistent with where most moderators already were ;)

Arantor

I see this is still happening where old topics get bumped for whatever reason and get locked. Again, if this is going to be the moderation policy, please be consistent about it, and if you're going to do it such that old topics will be locked if bumped, save the poor moderator's time and effort by just locking all the old ones.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=545812.msg3935509;topicseen#msg3935509 for example.

d3vcho

Not all old topics needs to be closed, but in that particular case, the comment the user made (raising an old topic) was not neccessary at all.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on July 15, 2017, 12:43:32 PM
I see this is still happening where old topics get bumped for whatever reason and get locked. Again, if this is going to be the moderation policy, please be consistent about it, and if you're going to do it such that old topics will be locked if bumped, save the poor moderator's time and effort by just locking all the old ones.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=545812.msg3935509;topicseen#msg3935509 for example.

Must admit, I saw this this morning and had similar thoughts.  ;) To be honest I can't see what harm the additional post caused to that thread, it made me read it again, and I don't mind some of them being resurrected as long as they remain on topic.

Arantor

Quote from: d3vcho(); on July 15, 2017, 01:36:48 PM
Not all old topics needs to be closed, but in that particular case, the comment the user made (raising an old topic) was not neccessary at all.

You misunderstand me. Certain team members take the view that this is inappropriate. If this is the case, it should be done by everyone. But it isn't.

Advertisement: