News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

automatic change images to PNG

Started by phishinfool, July 17, 2017, 08:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishinfool

Is there an add-on that will automatically change any image uploaded to a SMF forum to a PNG format image to any said specific size an admin requires all images to be resized to?
Just a thought so i figured i would ask here.

portable network graphics take up less space, but not all members are image savvy with photo shop programs.

Kindred

actually, typically JPGs take the least amount of space...

and no, there is no mod that will do what you ask
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

It really depends on the image, if it is a photo there is no way the PNG will be smaller. If it is a screenshot of a forum that is mostly blocks of solid colour, though, PNG will win every time and not blur the image as a JPG will.

Tools for the job, etc.

Kindred

Interesting, I had not realized that ...  most of my stuff is converted pictures, so that explains why jpg has been better for me. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

It's all down to the internals of format, JPEG was designed to handle the smooth graduations of colour change in a photo, and as such you can afford to lose some detail because you don't need all the detail when it's not pixel perfect.

efk

For me PNG is for pictures with transparency, and JPEG is for regular pictures. Now yes, PNG is in better quality but there is no difference if you are working with some simpler smaller picture. Probably difference can be seen when working with 1500x1500 px+. I'm working on forum some gfx contests for 3 years already and never noticed some difference in quality for size 720x550 (maximal used size for regular events).

Arantor

I can trivially make you some example images at a smaller size than you're talking about where the quality of a JPEG will be visibly inferior to a PNG. PNG never lose quality because it always records every pixel, whereas JPEG records enough to try to rebuild the image.

Specifically, internally it breaks the image down to 8x8 (or sometimes 16x16) segments and sweeps back and forth diagonally across each square recording colour change, and it does it based on luminescence first (usually, though there are multiple routes, RGB is not usually the one taken, it's mostly luma, then blue-difference, then red-difference which for photos works better as its closer to how our eyes typically process the data)

efk

I'm interested. Upload some pictures with visible difference, but don't reduce quality on purpose. Use for JPEG 100% quality.

Arantor

100% quality is almost but not quite PNG standards, except much larger and so not really a fair comparison.

For an example, grab something like an Explorer window with lots of files (ideally in Details view) and use that. The PNG will be absolutely fine with the rapid changes from black to white and back, but the JPEG will have issues with it.

phishinfool

well, what i am looking for is an add on to the forum that will shrink an oversized image on uploading (since photobucket went in the direction they did blocking all images and charging insane costs to use their services).

I have a smaller hosting, i paid extra (50 gigs) at crocweb for my lapidary forum.
Godaddy was cool with 100 gigs space but crappy with services and outdated servers & hosting corked in the permissions areas for working on the website...etc....etc
Then asked Sir Osis of Liver to move us.

If a member selects an image that is huge, they upload fine but when opening the forums on my phone, the images take minutes to show because they are huge.
What i would like is to see an add on app that would automatically convert any and all images to a desirable size that is friendly with phones and computers alike.
800x600 would be perfect.
Automatically resizing the images during uploading to conserve space of the server and not making members have to figure out how to use a photoshop or image resizer before uploading.

@rjen

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Advertisement: