News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Drag and Drop Image Adding, and Resizing

Started by guldam, July 19, 2017, 08:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guldam

I run several SMF boards, and a constant complaint and struggle a lot of users have is uploading images. The UI is unclear to them, and/or they struggle because image size requirements of the forums require image resizing on their own. Many just do not have the skills or software to resize.

As a result of user limitations, many have resorted to using image hosting at companies such as PhotoBucket. Well, recently PhotoBucket has held folks images hostage, and demand money before allowing third party hosting (on our forums). Subsequently there are forums, blogs, and websites all over the world now showing the damn PhotoBucket "please update your photo bucket account to enable 3rd party hosting" image for all photo bucket hosted images.

So many infuriated photobucket users are shaking their fists and complaining. And So many posts are now missing crucial images.

I would like to see the UI for Attachments modernized with:

1. Drag and Drop Interface Option such as the one that WordPress uses.
2. Allow resizing and optimizing as part of the Attachment Interface. (tinypng.com has a very nice simple drag and drop interface).
3. Improve UI for mobile devices.

Thanks!

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

No features will ever be added to the 2.0 branch.
Have you tested the 2.1 beta? There is a new attachment handling system
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

guldam

I have not, but I will now that I know this. Thanks!

Quote from: Kindred on July 19, 2017, 08:35:44 PM
No features will ever be added to the 2.0 branch.
Have you tested the 2.1 beta? There is a new attachment handling system

guldam

Ok, I installed SMF 2.1 Beta on my Mac, and indeed the image handling is improved.

Now, to wait patiently for SMF 2.1 Beta to become SMF 2.1  :o

Nibogo

If paid mods are an option you can check this one for SMF 2.0 (but it does not includes resizing):

https://www.smfpacks.com/au/

About Photobucket files, they could be converted into attachments and placed inside posts if you have an inline attachments mod installed!

TomW

Looks like a great mod, thanks !  However I also have many users who do not know how to resize, or when they resize they do it improperly, resulting in a very small image in the post.

Adding automatic resizing capability to your mod would be perfect.

TomW

Quote from: guldam on July 20, 2017, 12:38:59 PM
Ok, I installed SMF 2.1 Beta on my Mac, and indeed the image handling is improved.

Now, to wait patiently for SMF 2.1 Beta to become SMF 2.1  :o

It is definitely better but it still doesn't resolve your resizing issue.

@rjen

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

jakes_t

Another vote for this mod, there's an extra bit of code that you can add to it that will handle the correct orientation for pictures uploaded from phones. Users an now upload their 5mb photos directlyand it will be compressed and reduced in resolution.
This has inspired me to setup a local instance of 2.1 to see what the image handling is like. I prefer having all images on the forum instead of 3rd party places like photobucket that can let you down.

Advertisement: