News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Automatic backup

Started by Anoni1337, July 20, 2017, 04:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anoni1337

Hello is there any way to make my forum to backup every day but so it delete old backups from previous days.

Illori

what are you wanting to be automatically backed up? and where are you wanting this backup stored?

aegersz

I keep a week's worth of database backups and backup every hour. I do this and remove older backups via cron jobs (Linux).

all files, system settings and database backups get synchronised to my intranet most days.

if you are running Linux then use cron. if you are being hosted then talk to them and also find out how often they image your server too.

you have to keep both your files (attachments etc.) and database backups together and processed simultaneously as one whole unit.

I run 3 copies of files and databases on my intranet and am poised to rapidly rebuild a trashed system.

I hope this helps.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Anoni1337

Quote from: Illori on July 20, 2017, 05:13:40 AM
what are you wanting to be automatically backed up? and where are you wanting this backup stored?

Well my forum is hosted on webhosting that has 10GB of Storage space (I think that should be enough).I want all posts,user msgs etc to be saved.

aegersz

10 GB is enough for a while but find out how much you are currently using.

my files take up far more space than my database and it's backups.

talk to your host.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Anoni1337

Quote from: aegersz on July 20, 2017, 05:29:09 AM
10 GB is enough for a while but find out how much you are currently using.

my files take up far more space than my database and it's backups.

talk to your host.

Well currently it only took 86MB so yea.

Illori

you really want an off site backup. this way if your server crashes you have a backup. you would need to put in more effort to set this up as it requires connecting to a remote server/location. you are wanting to backup the database so you need a way on the server to dump the database so you can then back it up somewhere else.

Anoni1337

Quote from: Illori on July 20, 2017, 05:39:32 AM
you really want an off site backup. this way if your server crashes you have a backup. you would need to put in more effort to set this up as it requires connecting to a remote server/location. you are wanting to backup the database so you need a way on the server to dump the database so you can then back it up somewhere else.

Well main reason is I have SA:MP server so ppl (moderators) there can be fishy and sometimes delete posts,threads etc.Thats why I need it.

Illori

if you dont trust your moderators, dont make them moderators.

Shambles

And implement a recycle board.

Advertisement: