News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

No view by guests means no vieuw by google?

Started by simplebeer, July 21, 2017, 06:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simplebeer

I have searched this forum but can't find anything exactly the same, maybe there is but cant find it.
I have hide almost all boards for guest viewing, only left one board which include a topic "start" which tells guest have to be registred first and how to get there.
After the quest registred they are member with no posts and they can see one board more which include a topic "introduce yourself".
After they introduce they got one post and get acces by all boards because i set the view of all those boards at one post members.

This is a tryout, i want to see if it result in more activity.

One problem, it seems google cant see the forum anymore, am i right?
Can i fix this problem with only a robot txt ?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sorry for my poor English, but i think it's probably better then your Dutch :)

Illori

search engine spiders can only see what guests can see. if you want them to see more you need to let guests see more.

Shambles

Having a single board visible, which indicates that registration is required, won't do much to entice members to join.

simplebeer

Quote from: Illori on July 21, 2017, 06:27:27 AM
search engine spiders can only see what guests can see. if you want them to see more you need to let guests see more.

The checkbox "allow guests to view the forum" (translated from dutch, maybe its something different) is checked.
I only didnt allow guest to see the info boards.

Is there really no other way?

Quote from: Shambles on July 21, 2017, 06:30:05 AM
Having a single board visible, which indicates that registration is required, won't do much to entice members to join.

I want guests to find the forum with google on a searchword, when they click the link i want to have them registered to find and use the info on the forum.
After that i really want them to introduce as a consideration to use our info and hopefully get to know them.

The forum is quite new and for small target group, i hope we got some new members this way.
I see a lot of guest viewing the info and never register.

Is there any other way to achieve this? I (think) have seen it quite often at other forums?

Arantor

Google can only see what guests can see.

Anything else is asking for Google to ban you.

simplebeer

We dont want that offcourse, i just set it back in old settings.
Is there any other way to try 'make' people register? A pop up maybe to ask?

Illori

that might drive users away more then get them to register.

Advertisement: