News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Users registering with Spaces.

Started by germanshep, July 23, 2017, 05:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanshep

Running SMF 2.0.12 on my forum, and finding that recently, alot of new users have been able to register with spaces in their User Name. Did some googling and couldn't find any one who has answered this question, but is there a way to block this from happening?

Username with spaces

Just tested it there, This its @germanshep here, and I was able to register as this user. Interesting. Bug?

Dav999

That is completely normal. Why should spaces not be allowed?

You can set a space as a reserved name in Admin > Members > Registration > Set Reserved Names, and make sure "Match whole name only" is unchecked.

Arantor

The only restriction on spaces should be to remove any spaces from the start or end, and that was implemented years ago.

Steve

The original question is ... is there a way to prevent people registering with spaces in their names ... not whether it's possible or not.

Side note: you really should upgrade your forum.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

A better question is why it matters in the first place. First question should always be why this functionality is needed, especially as it isn't a simple change and the described solution shouldn't work.

germanshep

Quote from: Arantor on July 23, 2017, 01:05:53 PM
A better question is why it matters in the first place. First question should always be why this functionality is needed, especially as it isn't a simple change and the described solution shouldn't work.

The reason it matters is that users then forget they put spaces in their user name and then have to contact an admin to have their account password reset.

Quote from: Steve on July 23, 2017, 09:51:21 AM
The original question is ... is there a way to prevent people registering with spaces in their names ... not whether it's possible or not.

Side note: you really should upgrade your forum.

Upgraded and tested my forum up to 14 last night :)

Arantor

Interesting, this is the first time in a decade I've ever heard of this.

Thing is, users can do a password reset without needing admin intervention, and they can also use their email address instead of their username, so I'm genuinely confused as to how this problem even comes about.

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Arantor on July 24, 2017, 02:37:42 AM
Interesting, this is the first time in a decade I've ever heard of this.

Thing is, users can do a password reset without needing admin intervention, and they can also use their email address instead of their username, so I'm genuinely confused as to how this problem even comes about.
Stupidity and ignorance is endless. I also had to manually reset many users passwords for silly reasons, and recently one user contacted me saying he was getting a "Username not found" error, which I could not replicate. For someone whose username has 3 letters that's quite an achievement. Would be nice if these got logged on the error log.

As for spaces... I never got contacted on this issue but some do try to log with their display name sometimes. Does it really happen that often to be such a problem? You'd think after 1 or 2 times they'll learn.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Advertisement: