News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forum threads locking up when photos are added

Started by anon454ls6, July 26, 2017, 07:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anon454ls6

I have operated a SMF for a number of years (started in 2011 I think), but during the last year or so, the threads have started locking up after I begin loading photos.

I have always reduced all photos to 100k or less, and I have made sure that I am not exceeding that limit, and am using exactly the same proceedure I have used for years, and it always worked before, but is not longer working well.

Once a thread locks up, it cannot be viewed, and the only method I have found to fix the problem is to set the number of posts per topic to 1, go to the second to last post, and split off the last post and associated photo.

The thread generally will lock up again as I start to load photos again, but it can be somewhat random.

I am not getting any help from the host company, but there are no obvious problems with them such as bandwith or storage limit problems.

Anyone experience this?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

anon454ls6

No mods.

It was a turn-key package deal that was set up initially by the hosting company, and I have not changed anything.

digger

May be your photos have too high resolution so php memory limit is not enough to process them and create a preview. You can try to disable preview creation in the forum settings.

anon454ls6

I will check out what you are saying, but the maximum photo size is around 100k.

Occasionally I will grab the wrong photo file (high resolution) and I know when I do that because it will not load.

But for the low res photos I use, they load fine, but then at some seemingly random point something locks up.
I think when it decided to lock up, the last photo loaded never displays; the thread just locks up.

digger

Quote from: anon454ls6 on July 27, 2017, 04:20:13 AM
I will check out what you are saying, but the maximum photo size is around 100k.
File size is not the same as the picture resolution. There may be small file size and huge picture resolution which need more memory to do anything.

anon454ls6

I see, ok, I will check that out.

The highest resolution of my camera is about 5mb per photo, if that makes any sense.

It just seems odd that I would use the same methods with the same camera, etc. for several years with no problems, and then suddenly threads randomly start locking up when just a few photos have been added.
The problem is not going away, and if anything it is getting worse.
It does not happen every time, but generally when a number of photos get loaded to a thread, such as perhaps 50 photos, but sometimes with fewer.

Kindred

this woul likely be a problem with your HOST....

also, you really need to upgrade to 2.0.x - Even aside from security and support,  there is actually a mo in 2.0.x which might help.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

anon454ls6

aegersz

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Advertisement: