News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Major issue with forum - only affects members

Started by GL700Wing, July 31, 2017, 07:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shambles

Just one thing next time you're on... turn off your image proxy, just to keep things clean.

GL700Wing

Lodged a support ticket with my web hosting company about 30 minutes (it was already after midnight for me when I called it quits on this issue last night) and just received the following response:

It appears that there was an update for Litespeed which included the activation of the module mod_pagespeed, it appears that your web application didn't like the addition of this module.

I've disabled this module for you by adding the line "modpagespeed off" to the top of your websites .htaccess file.

The test forum looks fine again but I'll do some more monitoring/checking for the rest of the day before I change the topic/post counts on the production forum to their previous values.

Woot!! (insert happy dance smiley)
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

GL700Wing

Quote from: Shambles on July 31, 2017, 10:58:28 AM
Just one thing next time you're on... turn off your image proxy, just to keep things clean.
Is this something I should do as a matter of course or did you suggest it as part of the troubleshooting process?

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

Steve

Since you're running 2.0.14 I would do it as a matter of course. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GL700Wing

Quote from: Steve on July 31, 2017, 07:48:56 PM
Since you're running 2.0.14 I would do it as a matter of course. :)
Two questions:
1. I thought this was something I should have enabled as I'm running a https forum (I only reverted to http temporarily while trying to resolve this issue) - why should I do it as a matter of course?; and
2.  If I do disable image caching does this mean I can delete the images directory in the cache directy?

Slava
Ukraini!

GL700Wing

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 31, 2017, 10:36:51 PM
Do you have a good backup of forum files?
Yes - I do my own daily backups of all content (files and databases) on a weekly cycle and my web hosting plan includes hourly backups of all content (files and databases) with every backup available for the last three days and one backup available for each of the last three weeks.

However, it seems the problem was caused by an update of Litespeed that was applied yesterday by the web hosting provider to the shared server I'm using.  They've since updated the .htaccess file on my forums to disable the mod_pagespeed module and the issue seems to have been resolved - I'm just going to check/monitor the situation for the rest of the day to confirm.

Slava
Ukraini!

Sir Osis of Liver

That's interesting, I'm running two production forums and several test installs on LiteSpeed server.  Will ask my host about mod_pagespeed module.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: GL700Wing on July 31, 2017, 10:54:38 PM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 31, 2017, 10:36:51 PM
Do you have a good backup of forum files?
Yes - I do my own daily backups of all content (files and databases) on a weekly cycle and my web hosting plan includes hourly backups of all content (files and databases) with every backup available for the last three days and one backup available for each of the last three weeks.

However, it seems the problem was caused by an update of Litespeed that was applied yesterday by the web hosting provider to the shared server I'm using.  They've since updated the .htaccess file on my forums to disable the mod_pagespeed module and the issue seems to have been resolved - I'm just going to check/monitor the situation for the rest of the day to confirm.

Cool beans that it seems to be good to go, I would be interested to visit your site and have a peek at the subject matter, could you PM me a link? I just upgraded one of my customer's to 2.0.14 on a small heavily customized site and it seems good to go, but am holding back upgrading  on another guy's SSL site with over 70k members and 1M+ posts, for now, but just finished tweaking the php.ini/.htaccess aspects of my own site after a total move to a new hosting company (domain name registration and all) I've been pretty busy lately putting out fires lol

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

GL700Wing

Quote from: Bob Perry on July 31, 2017, 11:28:15 PM
I would be interested to visit your site and have a peek at the subject matter ...
Anyone can visit:
Production Forum is at https://fjcc.com.au/forum_fjcc
Test Forum is at https://fjcc.com.au/forum_test

If you'd like a member login to the Test Forum let me know and I'll send you the details via PM - only thing is that now that the .htaccess file has been updated the issue is no longer occurring (although I might be able to recreate the issue by updating the .htaccess file in the Test Forum directory to override the entry in the primary .htaccess file).

The line that was added to the beginning of the .htaccess file in the root directory of the website (ie, public_html) is as follows:
modpagespeed off

Slava
Ukraini!

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: GL700Wing on August 01, 2017, 12:34:49 AM
Quote from: Bob Perry on July 31, 2017, 11:28:15 PM
I would be interested to visit your site and have a peek at the subject matter ...
Anyone can visit:
Production Forum is at https://fjcc.com.au/forum_fjcc
Test Forum is at https://fjcc.com.au/forum_test

If you'd like a member login to the Test Forum let me know and I'll send you the details via PM - only thing is that now that the .htaccess file has been updated the issue is no longer occurring (although I might be able to recreate the issue by updating the .htaccess file in the Test Forum directory to override the entry in the primary .htaccess file).

The line that was added to the beginning of the .htaccess file in the root directory of the website (ie, public_html) is as follows:
modpagespeed off

Yes, you don't have to do anything special to recreate the issue, just comment that line out by inserting a # at the left edge of the line and save the file...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

GL700Wing

QuoteYes, you don't have to do anything special to recreate the issue, just comment that line out by inserting a # at the left edge of the line and save the file...
Yep - I'm aware of that but instead I've added the following line to the .htaccess file in the home directory for the Test Forum so as not to break my Production Forum again:
modpagespeed on

I've confirmed that the Test Forum is broken again so I'll send you a PM with the details of a login you can use to see the issue in effect.

Slava
Ukraini!

Shambles

Good to see the solution has been found. A bit concerning that unsolicited auto-updates for cPanel/Litespeed etc broke a functioning website.

My suggestion to turn off the image proxy was based purely on the fact that my browser console showed proxy.php in several places for your test site, so I just figured turning it off would let us see more of the wood through the trees ;)

GL700Wing

@Shambles - thanks again for your assistance.

(I'm also really grateful to have a good and very responsive web hosting provider.)

Once I'm home again I'm going to try and pinpoint exactly which mod(s) is/are the culprits.

In the meantime I'll check to see why I have multiple copies of proxy.php on the test forum (I'll also check my other forums as well).

Slava
Ukraini!

Shambles

Quote...why I have multiple copies of proxy.php on the test forum
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant to say it kept showing up in my browser console log, in several places, while rendering your forum; most likely it was all the images required on the pages I viewed :)

GL700Wing

Quote from: Shambles on August 01, 2017, 07:35:21 AM
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant to say it kept showing up in my browser console log, in several places, while rendering your forum; most likely it was all the images required on the pages I viewed :)
Aaah - okay - thanks for the clarification.

FJ Cruiser owners like showing off their vehicles, all the bits they add to them, what they do with them and the places they visit! :)

Slava
Ukraini!

Shambles

aegersz

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 31, 2017, 11:09:05 PM
That's interesting, I'm running two production forums and several test installs on LiteSpeed server.  Will ask my host about mod_pagespeed module.

mod_pagespeed made the SMF editor do odd things for me (documented here somewhere).

i got rid of it.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

@rjen

Quote from: Shambles on August 01, 2017, 08:50:25 AM
Yep - a really neat forum you have there.
Yes it is.

May I ask what theme you are using?
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Shambles

Quote from: @rjen
May I ask what theme you are using?

It's named in the credits at the bottom of her forum.

Thing, by Nolt

Advertisement: