News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Server host update incompatable with v1.1.11 in 2011

Started by gethralkin, August 11, 2017, 05:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gethralkin

So, the title pretty much explains my problem. The hosting had an update which conflicted with the forum version I had last, and that caused this error to display when trying to access the forum:

QuoteConnection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

So, I have been stuck since then, but was - at the time - not able to address this as I was attending university and bogged down with my studies.

Now that I have more time and resources, I would like to repair my forum side of my website, as it's a part of a certain franchise's legacy that I was allowed to retain from a previous license during the distribution of the product that it promoted.

The front end of the site has a few issues of its own that I need to get fixed, but I would like to get the forum back up and running at the very least.

I am going to contact the server host again this week to find out what my options are, but if anyone has any ideas about version compatability fixes after the fact, I am open to suggestions.

I understand that I probably need to offer up more details about the situation so that an informed response can be given, so I will be happy to post whatever needed barring sensitive information.

Illori

sounds like you need to change the database password and update it in Setting.php. when you are done you should upgrade to SMF 2.0.14. https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

gethralkin

Okay, so I have the database backed up (on my computer, not the server host).

The main issue affecting my website since 1.1.11 is that the forum does not come up at all through the site address.

I am hesitant to begin upgrading to the current SMF until I feel confident the forum can be restored as it was.

But how can I make sure that I can recover it if I can't even check that it survived after the point the incompatability with the host took it offline?

EDIT: I seem to have forgotten to include a link to the forum, sorry. hxxp:swpocketmodels.com/forum/index.php [nonactive]

Kindred

well, it looks like your server setting are incorrect and your database connection is not properly set up
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: gethralkin on August 27, 2017, 03:17:57 AM
I am hesitant to begin upgrading to the current SMF until I feel confident the forum can be restored as it was.

You should not attempt upgrade until you get the forum running in 1.1.11.  It should work unless your host has upgraded php on your account to php7, in which case you'll need to downgrade to 5.6.  You may be able to do this in your host control panel, else ask host support to do it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

gethralkin

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I've been offline for a few months due to family issues. In revisiting this problem, however, I have verified that both PHP 5.3 is longer actively supported by the hosting server (I also verified that my last smf update was to 1.11.19 - which is immaterial at this point, really).

Version 5.6 is their default PHP, however:
QuotePHP version 5.4 is available and meets our stability and security requirements. Version 5.3 isn't actively supported.

... BUT, a note on the little tooltip next to the 5.4 option says that it is not actively supported either.

In any case, the host has this to say regarding PHP 5.6:
QuoteVersion 5.6 meets our stability and security requirements. We recommend it for hosting accounts that don't require the specific features of PHP 5.4. NOTE: You will not be able to select PHP 5.3 or below as an option after a changing to PHP 5.6.
If you are using a custom php.ini file, the file will need to be named php56.ini for your changes to take effect.

When selecting the option to change to 5.6, I am reminded:
QuoteUpgrading to PHP 5.6 might cause compatibility issues with code on your site.
Installed applications might not run under this new version. If you are using a custom php.ini file, the file will need to be named php56.ini for your changes to take effect.

I have backed up the forums and all is ready to be restored if things go pear-shaped.

So, where do I find the php.ini file so that I might verify whether it is custom or not? I expect it isn't custom, being that I am using a standard (albeit older) version of smf.

Am I correct in thinking this?

Also, should I try using 5.4 before switching to 5.6?

Thanks!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Php.ini - you may want to ask your host.
Php version - 5.6 should be a fairly safe bet with SMF, and I'd guess most mods too - but it may be a good idea to keep an eye on your error log after changing.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

gethralkin

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 16, 2018, 06:18:49 AM
Php.ini - you may want to ask your host.
Php version - 5.6 should be a fairly safe bet with SMF, and I'd guess most mods too - but it may be a good idea to keep an eye on your error log after changing.

After finding a rep that would reasonably help me, I was informed that the upgrade would be irreversible if I went from the lower php to the higher.

Regardless, the SMF will not work on the lower version and so I held my breath and switched to the newer php5.6 version - and now it still doesn't work enough for me to get in there and upgrade the forum.

The host isn't willing to troubleshoot my website (I don't blame them - they'd have to devote a lot to offer that for free for everybody - and I am not able to pour in an extra budget for that kind of service), so I am stick without having the personal expertise to fix this myself.

Now what?

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can pm admin and cpanel access, I'll have a look.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: