Advertisement:

Author Topic: 2.0.14 - update the database, but not the files?  (Read 175 times)

Offline BSD2000

• Semi-Newbie
2.0.14 - update the database, but not the files?
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:31:40 AM »
Ok, here's the situation, but before I start, I already know it's my fault for doing things out of order, but I wanted to see if there's a way around this before taking everything apart and putting it back together from scratch, or if nothing needs to be done.

My website was running a heavily modified 2.0.13 version of SMF that was patched multiple times going back to v2.0.2 (early 2011). The v2.0.14 upgrade package came out and when I tried to apply it, there was a ton of errors in various files, so I decided I would bite the bullet and start the whole forum over using a 'clean' copy of 2.0.14. While I was at it, I upgraded to version PHP7 on the server side (Apache/MySQL).

So, I backed up the database, deleted all of the files in the cache, packages, source, themes folders and the root; then uploaded everything from the v2.0.14 'full install' zip. Only, I didn't run the install. I copied back my Settings.php file and used the v2.0.13 database already on my server and got the forum back up and running without a full install.

Here's the problem - I'm now running v2.0.14 source files with a 2.0.13 database. I didn't realize it at the time that v2.0.14 has a few changes to the database that my database will not have since it's still from v2.0.13 (image proxy, being one of them). My question is - will this cause a problem for me in the long run? Is there a way to upgrade the database by itself without touching any of the files so it's 100% compatible with 2.0.14? Could this be a non-issue that I'm worrying about for no reason?

Right now, everything seems to be working fine, no errors in the logs and all the functionality seems to be working; but I'm just wondering if the old, unmodified/upgraded database will cause an issue in the future.

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
Re: 2.0.14 - update the database, but not the files?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:49:43 AM »
There are no database changes in 2.0.14, not even the image proxy.
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. It seems you have chosen which, and now I must do the same.

Offline BSD2000

• Semi-Newbie
Re: 2.0.14 - update the database, but not the files?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:00:01 AM »
Nice, I feel a lot better now.

Thanks!