News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Sudden 500 site error.

Started by beneidemthepilot, August 11, 2017, 03:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beneidemthepilot

Hi. My site uses SMF for user authentication using the SSI script. It's been working great for some time, however out of the blue, my site is giving 500 errors, both on the main site (which utilizes the SSI script on every page) and on the forums.

My moodle site is still working which is completely separated from SMF. I'm able to access CSS files. I'm only getting 500 errors on pages that are linked to the forums script. I have not made any filesystem or database changes recently. I don't see any error messages within the filesystem that would result from PHP. I do see some errors on the site level returned by the apache server saying that the "index.php" page for a subdomain (forums.seattlevirtualatc.org) that redirects to the actual forums at (seattlevirtualatc.org/forums/) via .htaccess is not found, but can't imagine being the cause.

This error seems to have happened out of the blue. The evidence above seems to point to something within SSI, or an included script, as that is the only link to the main site which is also receiving these errors.

Do you know of any previous occurrences, or ways I can begin troubleshooting to solve this issue? What tables, if any, should I check in phpmyadmin to find the cause and/or remedy? The only thing I can think of is an attack through the database. DNS is not the issue. Apache is not the issue. The only files producing the 500 error are files which include the SSI script, and the forums itself.

vbgamer45

Did your host do any kind of updates such as PHP version changes?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

beneidemthepilot

The hosting provider allows us to choose the PHP version for each subdomain. All of them still are at 5.6, as they were when I migrated there in February.

vbgamer45

What does it say in the apache error logs? or php error logs?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

beneidemthepilot

The only related lines in Cpanel's "metrics -> Errors" only show a "file not found" when attempting to access forums.mywebsite.org/index.php [nofollow]. This subdomain uses .htaccess to redirect to mywebsite.org/forums/ [nofollow], where the index file is present. I've had no problems with this process before. The only other errors are associated with moodle, which shouldn't be a factor here.

There are no PHP error logs to be found in any smf folders.

beneidemthepilot

Attached is the only error that I can seem to find. Simply an HTML error 500 inside the internet browser.

shawnb61

Anything unusual in the permissions for the files in those folders?   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

beneidemthepilot

I just noticed that in my addon theme, the folder permissions are 777 and files were 666.

should I change those to 755 and 644?

Sir Osis of Liver

Some servers block 777 for security reasons.  755 and 644 should work.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

beneidemthepilot

Thanks. I've changed that. I imagine this would make it more secure. It's been working fine with the other permissions though, so I'm still having the issue described above.

Sir Osis of Liver

Am able to link to forum .txt and .html files in seattlevirtualatc.org/forums/, but php files are being blocked.  Got a quick look at what appeared to be a security app I didn't recognize, but only once.  Best guess it's something your host did, probably security related.

- R. Waters

beneidemthepilot

Thanks. I've already submitted a support request with them as well and will add your comment to the ticket.
In the event I need more help from you, should I comment here again or make a new post?

Thank you.

Sir Osis of Liver

Stay with this topic, it contains background info support team will need.  While you're waiting, you could do a clean install in another directory, import your production database, and see if it works.

- R. Waters

beneidemthepilot

The hosting provider could not find any logs of HTML 500 errors, or other related logs which could identify an issue.
They responded suggesting to disable ModSecurity as that can sometimes block php files. The same error resulted with modsecurity disabled. I have re-enabled it.
I then opened a new directory, installed SMF fresh with v2.0.14 with a new forums user, but the same database as before.
Within this new directory, it is pulling the theme from the old directory, and appears to be working fine.

Because the fresh install works, this makes me wonder if a file with v2.0.13 could have been altered?

Deaks

could of been something in the database not updating correctly or a file was not patched correctly, if its working now try running repair_settings and move the paths so you can delete old forum files.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

beneidemthepilot

Thanks Bryan. Everything seems to be working just fine now. Nothing looked abnormal in repair_settings on the old forum installation, however the fresh installation of 2.0.14 (i had .13 before this) has my site back up and running.

Deaks

so you ok with marking as solved?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

beneidemthepilot

Advertisement: