News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

2.0.14 - update the database, but not the files?

Started by BSD2000, August 13, 2017, 03:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSD2000

Ok, here's the situation, but before I start, I already know it's my fault for doing things out of order, but I wanted to see if there's a way around this before taking everything apart and putting it back together from scratch, or if nothing needs to be done.

My website was running a heavily modified 2.0.13 version of SMF that was patched multiple times going back to v2.0.2 (early 2011). The v2.0.14 upgrade package came out and when I tried to apply it, there was a ton of errors in various files, so I decided I would bite the bullet and start the whole forum over using a 'clean' copy of 2.0.14. While I was at it, I upgraded to version PHP7 on the server side (Apache/MySQL).

So, I backed up the database, deleted all of the files in the cache, packages, source, themes folders and the root; then uploaded everything from the v2.0.14 'full install' zip. Only, I didn't run the install. I copied back my Settings.php file and used the v2.0.13 database already on my server and got the forum back up and running without a full install.

Here's the problem - I'm now running v2.0.14 source files with a 2.0.13 database. I didn't realize it at the time that v2.0.14 has a few changes to the database that my database will not have since it's still from v2.0.13 (image proxy, being one of them). My question is - will this cause a problem for me in the long run? Is there a way to upgrade the database by itself without touching any of the files so it's 100% compatible with 2.0.14? Could this be a non-issue that I'm worrying about for no reason?

Right now, everything seems to be working fine, no errors in the logs and all the functionality seems to be working; but I'm just wondering if the old, unmodified/upgraded database will cause an issue in the future.

Arantor

There are no database changes in 2.0.14, not even the image proxy.

BSD2000

Advertisement: