News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

New user set to require "post approval required" posts anyway

Started by ZWarrior, August 14, 2017, 08:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZWarrior

Forum: hxxp:nebraskafirearms.org/forum [nonactive]
We recently upgraded, painfully I might add, to 2.0.11 and not long after noticed that users that are assigned to the "post approval required" group are able to post new topics and reply to old topics.
- I verified that the user is only a member of the Post Approval Required (henceforth to be called PAR because I am tired of typing it) group and nothing else.
- Under Permissions/General Permissions the PAR group if you click Modify they are all set to X except "Search for posts and topics" and "View profile summary and stats: own" which are set to A.
- Under Permissions/General Permissions the Default Board Profile Permissions are set to X except for "Post new topics, but hide until approved" and "Post replies to topics, but hide until approved: own/any" which are all set to A.
- Under Permissions/Post Moderation the PAR group is set to New Topics: require approval; Own: require approval; Any: require approval; Attachments: Deny.

Any suggestions or assistance greatly appreciated.

Arantor

A user is always in at least two groups. Presumably PAR is post count group based, in which case your user is also part of Regular Members, which probably has the permission to post without waiting for approval (which overrides this)

Alternatively, PAR isn't a post count group but whatever post count group your user is in has the overriding permission.

efk

My suggestion is to set permissions for all membergroups like you want to be and then to set Regular Members to 0. Also if you have Permission Profiles, the same thing have to be done. If you have a lot of this, it will require a lot of your time to make it be perfect.
Also keep on mind that each board have to be set for exact permission profile.

ZWarrior

Thank you for the responses.
We aren't using a post count trigger for this group. This is basically a group for users that are untrusted and until they prove, through their content, that they are trusted members of the community they will stay moderated or eventually deleted.
The PAR group members are only assigned to this group and no other. Their primary group is not assigned either. I did try adding the PAR as the user's primary group and still they could post without moderation. It is almost like the switch for post approval is being ignored.
I will try raising their warning level high enough to trigger post approval and see if it kicks in then, but that would not be a long term solution since the warning level will lower automatically and we really don't want to spend time maintaining the warning levels to keep post approval in place.

Illori

you have by default post count based groups, have you set any permissions for those groups? everyone is by default in atleast 2 groups, a primary group and a post count based group. permissions from both/all groups apply.

efk

Default membergroups are Guests, Regular Members, Moderator and Administrator. Regular Members can be disabled if you set to 0 permissions.
Primary forum membergroup is New Member which is post based with 0 posts and forum probably can not work without it. Not sure if that can be changed by changing the system to Time Online Membergroups or something like that. Also go to Membergroups and try to remove New Member which has 0 posts, you can't delete it, but you can change the name of membergroup. I installed that mod once and it was disaster in next few days till we managed to restore to post based.

Arantor

>  Regular Members can be disabled if you set to 0 permissions.

Except people are still in the group, which can matter for board access, not to mention things like news letters.

>  try to remove New Member which has 0 posts,

DO NOT DO THIS. EVER. DO NOT EVEN EDIT IT TO MAKE IT MORE THAN 0 POSTS.

efk

Quote from: Arantor on August 15, 2017, 02:17:55 PM
>  try to remove New Member which has 0 posts,

DO NOT DO THIS. EVER. DO NOT EVEN EDIT IT TO MAKE IT MORE THAN 0 POSTS.
Once I wanted to change post count and name of New Member since I had icon on it already for some other membergroup. So I changed it and placed another one on its place, but then I realized mistake and revert it back which took about half an hour to fix it. For now there is no negative consequences caused by that.

No idea about news letters, never used it.

Arantor

QuoteFor now there is no negative consequences caused by that.

As long as there is a 0+ post count group in your platform, there is no problem. Just during the period of time where there is no 0+ post count group, anyone who posts will instantly become a full administrator which you can't remove from their account without directly fixing it in the database.

efk

Quote from: Arantor on August 15, 2017, 03:02:30 PM
QuoteFor now there is no negative consequences caused by that.

As long as there is a 0+ post count group in your platform, there is no problem. Just during the period of time where there is no 0+ post count group, anyone who posts will instantly become a full administrator which you can't remove from their account without directly fixing it in the database.
Are you sure how that membergroup can be removed? If you create another membergroup with 0 posts, that membergroup will inherit behavior of New Member, but forum Administrator is not able to manipulate with New Member in any other way, so if there is created new membergroup with 0 posts, New Member will became a sleeping membergroup, but if you delete current membergroup with 0 posts, New Member will be awaken again and everything will be the same, but from what I remember, I needed more than a half of an hour of work to make it be like before doing changes, so there is some trick to do probably in order to make the things like before..

Arantor

Advertisement: