News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problems upgrading from 1.1.21 to 2.0.14

Started by halamazoo, August 16, 2017, 12:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halamazoo

I started helping a friend upgrade his forum when the automated upgrade through godaddy didn't work. Going through the manual upgrade, I've run into problem after problem. I was finally able to upgrade from 1.1.16 to 1.1.24. Now, trying to upgrade to 2.0.14 is causing nothing but problems. I've created a DB backup through mySQL and backed up my files using FTP. I've deleted all files except for settings.php, settings_bak.php and the avatars and attachments directories. I then downloaded and unzipped the upgrade files and moved them all over to the server using FTP (binary transfer method). I adjusted permissions so all files have 644 and all directories have 755. When I navigate to upgrade.php, I get the attached screen. There are numerous php errors and an error stating "The upgrader was unable to find some crucial files. Please make sure you uploaded all of the files included in the package, including the Themes, Sources, and other directories." Unless the zip was missing a file, I don't know how this can be.

Also, settings.php has been checked and all values appear to be correct. Any ideas?

Sir Osis of Liver

IIRC, on GoDaddy your forum root must be in /public_html/.  Looks like you've uploaded the files to wrong directory.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

halamazoo

I uploaded the 2.0.14 files to the same place that I uploaded the 1.1.24 files. The 1.1.24 upgrade worked fine. I used Filezilla to FTP to the server and replace the files that were already there with the upgrade files. Also, the absolute path that you see in the previous screenshot is what I pulled from GoDaddy when I log in. There is no "public_html" for the root. It's just "html", and the forum's root directory is in there.

Sir Osis of Liver

Can you post a sreenshot from FZ of forum root directory?

- R. Waters

halamazoo

Here are screenshots from FileZilla. One is the document root for the site, which shows the forum's root, "thepub". I then took a screenshot of "thepub" directory from FileZilla to show the files and directories currently listed.

Illori

is this the folder that your 1.1.21 install was already in? or is this a new folder that was created?
you need all the files from 1.1.21 in place then you upload the large upgrade package over what is already there.

halamazoo

This is the folder that the 1.1.21 install was already in. I did not create a new folder.

"thepub" is the original directory that had all the 1.1.16 files in it. I then copied ALL the files from the 1.1.24 upgrade package and overwrote everything in "thepub". That upgrade went fine. I'm now trying to get to the most recent stable version (2.0.14) installed. I copied ALL the files from the 2.0.14 upgrade package to "thepub" directory.

Based on the forum posts that I've read, I've tried a couple different things. I first backed up "thepub" directory onto my computer before doing anything else. I also backed up the DB. I then just pasted the 2.0.14 files into "thepub" and overwrote anything that already existed. That didn't work, so I tried deleting everything out of "thepub" with the exception of settings.php, settings_bak.php, attachments directory and avatars directory. This also didn't work and resulted in the same errors.

The install looks like it should be so simple.

halamazoo

The person who was working on this before me created "thepub2" when trying to upgrade. I don't see how this could be a problem, but could two forums on the same site be an issue?

Sir Osis of Liver

Are they both connected to the same database?

- R. Waters

halamazoo

No. They are connected to different databases.

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you patch to 1.1.21, or did you use the upgrade package and run 1.1.21 upgrade.php?

- R. Waters

halamazoo

I used the upgrade package and ran update.php.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: halamazoo on August 16, 2017, 12:48:22 PM
I've deleted all files except for settings.php, settings_bak.php and the avatars and attachments directories. I then downloaded and unzipped the upgrade files and moved them all over to the server using FTP (binary transfer method).

Quote from: Illori on August 18, 2017, 08:10:44 AM
you need all the files from 1.1.21 in place then you upload the large upgrade package over what is already there.

If you can get the forum running in 1.1.21, upload the 2.0.14 upgrade package over the 1.1.21 files, without deleting anything, then run upgrade.php.

- R. Waters

halamazoo

I have done that and gotten the same errors.

Sir Osis of Liver

Is the forum running?  Link?

If you can pm ftp access (server/username/password) I'll have a look.

- R. Waters

halamazoo

It's currently running at shamrocksnyc.com/thepub [nofollow]

Ftp info has been sent.

Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

Been working on this over three hours, GoDaddy just keeps getting worse.  No way to upgrade to 2.0.14 on your server.  The index errors you're seeing are because upgrade.php is unable to load the language file Install.english.php.  Tried various ways to link directly, no go.  Your file permissions are set at 705/604, changed most of them to 755/644, no go.  Did a clean install in another directory, linked to your database, no go.  In the end, I did a clean 1.1.21 install on my host, linked to your database, ran the upgrade, it worked.  I've uploaded the 2.0.14 upgrade package to your forum, can't run it because GoDaddy's FTP server is blocking some /Sources files (this is a known problem).  You'll have to upload the files using GoDaddy's file manager.  May as well upload the entire upgrade package, less the upgrade scripts.  The database has been upgraded to 2.0.14, I fixed Settings.php and Settings_bak.php, ran repair_settings.php.  You should be good to go once you've uploaded the files.  Do not run upgrade.php, it's already done.

Let me know when you get it done.

*Sir Osis needs another beer.

- R. Waters

halamazoo

I copied the files over and the forum is finally back up and running and fully upgraded. That was quite the ordeal. Thank you so much for sticking it out until the bitter end. That gif really said it all.

Advertisement: