News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

attachments directory full

Started by carmohn, August 18, 2017, 07:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carmohn

Hello,

i got this email from my smf Forum:

Das Verzeichnis für Anhänge des Forums XXX ist fast voll. Bitte kontrollieren Sie die Einstellungen, um das Problem zu beseitigen.
Wenn das Anhänge-Verzeichnis die max. Größe erreicht hat, können die Benutzer keine weiteren Dateianhänge oder Benutzerbilder hochladen (wenn aktiviert).

I have set the maximum size of the upload directory from 51200000 (standard) to 102400000.

my question: has this negative effects on my forum?

showngo

On your server , create a new Attachments folder (attachments1) in the and in the forum settings for attachments, use the configure multiple directories to point to the new folder  (Check use current directory)

I currently have 12 directories / folders.   there is no problem with that,  No one will be able to post new attachments until you do.

I like this better than increasing the size of the folders for ease of backing them up.

lady_l

Quote from: showngo on August 18, 2017, 07:44:47 AM
On your server , create a new Attachments folder (attachments1) in the and in the forum settings for attachments,

In the --- and ind in the forum settings...?

I have this problem too and I would like to know where. And please tell us if  the pictures you already have in the old directory will still work?
L.
"And we're vagabonds/we travel without seatbelts on/we live this close to death"

a10

No problems with many folders. Older directories working seamlessly.
Am adding a new path when nr of files goes towards 5000.
See attachment.

Apart from my host 'not liking' directories with more than 9999 files, using many directories makes backups very practical as mentionned in earlier post, as after an initial complete backup, one only needs to do 'current directory' backup.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

showngo

Quote from: a10 on August 18, 2017, 02:43:43 PM
No problems with many folders. Older directories working seamlessly.
Am adding a new path when nr of files goes towards 5000.
See attachment.

Apart from my host 'not liking' directories with more than 9999 files, using many directories makes backups very practical as mentionned in earlier post, as after an initial complete backup, one only needs to do 'current directory' backup.

Your Hosting doesnt like that many or FTP?

Just wondering, i have a bunch.

It's just easier to zip them when samller.

a10

Quote from: showngo on August 18, 2017, 04:06:18 PM
Quote from: a10 on August 18, 2017, 02:43:43 PM

my host 'not liking' directories with more than 9999 files,

Your Hosting doesnt like that many or FTP?

Files above 9999 will be there (and f.ex. load in a browser), but won't list \ cannot be accessed using ftp.
No problem once one knows. Some other hosts I've used did not have any ftp maximum, so seems just to be some host settings choice.

BTW, am setting "Max attachment folder space"  to 0 (no limit), monitoring it now and then, creating new directory\path when needed.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's in Admin -> Attachments and Avatars -> Attachment Settings -> Attachments directory -> Configure multiple attachment directories

I ran into the file count problem while moving two forums to same host, one with >20,000 files in one directory, the other with just under 10,000 files.  The smaller one worked ok, but the larger one did what a10 described.  All 20,000+ files uploaded, but couldn't see half of them or do anything with them.  Host had to change ftp server config to make it work.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

lady_l

Thanks Sir O ! I am going to try this.

Many people on my forum now use Flickr and paste inks for these huge huge files on my forum,. Not only do the giant pictures break the board but when they delete the pictures the post is often meaningless. I would much rather have them upload directly.

l. :)
"And we're vagabonds/we travel without seatbelts on/we live this close to death"

shawnb61

Sorry, OT, but...

I must say, lady_l, your avatar took me back. 

"The Sound of her Wings" - the issue where Death talks Dream out of his funk.  Sandman #8.  One of the best issues of an outstanding series. 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

lady_l

Oh you recognized my avatar!! Cool!! or should I say Peachy Keen! ! Yes it was a grest series for sure.

Do you know the quotation signature too? (Hint, they are from Portland)  Sorry -- no prizes.

LL

Advertisement: