News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Profile template replace failed installation test

Started by sdub, August 18, 2017, 08:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdub

I was upgrading and applied patches successively from 2.0.11. All was fine until 2.014 at which point I got the error after installation that it couldn't connect to the database. I breezed past the installation checkboxes for updating themes at the bottom so maybe that was the problem. I restored the Source, Theme directories and the few files from the backup (SSI.php, index.php, etc). It is back at 2.0.13. When I try to do the installation of 2.0.14 again the test shows:   2.   Replace   ./Themes/default/Profile.template.php   Test failed

Do you know why? (I don't really know what I am doing in administering this software.) Can I fix that and try the installation again, this time also checking those boxes concerning the Install in Other Themes section.

I should note that the installation check also says

"This package is already installed, and no upgrade was found!
"You should uninstall the old version first to avoid problems, or ask the author to create an upgrade from your old version."

And I did not find an uninstaller,  but also haven't really looked into that very hard yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.
- steve

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Yes sir, this is a common thing that happens to inexperienced administrators... I'd be happy to walk ya through all sorts of things that can go wrong and how easy (and fast usually too) it is to fix each item that comes along depending what/where it comes from and the complexity of the issue, for most of the typical issues that have come up over the years the solutions rarely take more than a couple hours to diagnose/repair, UNTIL 2.0.14 came out recently, when it did I had the bright idea to change host companies at the same time, wish I had stayed with 2.0.13 a tad bit longer, it's caused me no end of grief and swearing just to get my own site functioning anywhere near what is typical otherwise, nearly there, but have been forced to kind of neglect existing customers somewhat, but not a major problem with theirs' so far, its mine that gives me headaches lol

First thing you need to practice up on is using this support site's "search" & "wiki" tools, you'll find that there is a myriad of info available posted here that answers almost every conceivable issue you can imagine and it's resolution if you know where to look or whom to ask directly...

Are you the person who originally installed the last stable version of your site? If so, did you use FTP and Upload the source, set up the database on the cpanel host company back-end interface yourself? or were the version upgrades always done by clicking link in the package manager's message in the Packages mod install screen listings?

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

sdub

I did the last stable install. I only did it once a year or more ago and don't remember how I did it. I do remember at one point doing some work via ftp and making my own backups to be sure but I don't know for sure that it was for the forums upgrade process.

sdub

Btw, thank you very much for your willingness to help! - steve

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: sdub on August 18, 2017, 12:25:27 PM
Btw, thank you very much for your willingness to help! - steve

No problem, we may be able to jog your memory on what you need to do next, it'll likely come back to you quickly with just a few well thought out questions from the folks here who've been through the routine many times in their experience with this bad boy... far superior to Wordpress platform I say...

I'm assuming you still have access to the cpanel host account back-end interface, yes? not an absolute requirement, but essential if you are unable to fire up your FTP utility and log into the server side of your site's source file locations and directories successfully so that you can actually edit/replace entire source file copies...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Sir Osis of Liver

Look in Admin -> Support and Credits, post the Version Information.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

sdub

Forum version: SMF 2.0.13 (more detailed)
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.14
GD version: bundled (2.1.0 compatible)
MySQL version: 5.7.18-percona-sure1-log
PHP: 5.6.31
Server version: Apache

Sir Osis of Liver

Sounds like you didn't restore a full 2.0.13 backup, which may have left you with a partial 2.0.14 install.  Look in /Packages/backups, you should see a backup from before 2.0.14 patch was installed.  Depending on how far you got with subsequent attempts to upgrade, the backup may or may not be good.  If your forum is running correctly in 2.0.13, make a full backup, then d/l the package backup, unzip, upload to forum root.  You may also have to run fix_packages.php to mark the 2.0.14 patch uninstalled.

- R. Waters

sdub

I think the restore stopped when it ran into a file it couldn't replace (msic-anti-spam). I put back the old one manually and then did the backup restore again. It now does not generate any errors when it runs the tests for the update process.

I am currently at 2.0.13 because every time I run the install for 2.0.14 I get the can't connect to the database problem.

I did run fix_packages.php and mark 2.0.14 as uninstalled, but it still says it is installed when it preps for the update from 2.0.13. (what does remove hooks mean? I did run this the second time I used fix_packages.php. Now I see now the warning in the Repair Manual to not do that unless you know what you're doing. need to slow down.)

Illori

if you removed hooks, you may have uninstalled most of your mods. you now need to install clean files then reinstall your mods.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

to fix the database error you are getting, you need to reset the password for your database.

sdub

I don't know that there were any mods. How can I tell if I need to do the clean install? Only if there are problems that crop up?

I'll have to research the database. Do you think whoever did the original install on our end picked the database, etc.? or is MySQL part of the SMF package?

Sir Osis of Liver

MySQL is the database software running on the server, you don't pick it, you get what your host has installed.  If the forum is working correctly in 2.0.13, there's nothing wrong with the database.  If you're trying to patch to 2.0.14 using package manager and getting the db connection error, you may have to set a new db password in your host control panel, and edit the new password into Settings.php.

- R. Waters

sdub

Reset the database password and tried the 2.0.14 update and still got the database connect error.

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

sdub

yes

http://www.chestercountybassmasters.com/forums/index.php [nofollow]

Well, not everything seems right when I look at the detailed version:

SMF Package   SMF 2.0.13   SMF 2.0.14
Sources   2.0.13   2.0.14
Default Templates   2.0   2.0.14
Language Files   2.0.12   2.0.14

And in Support:
Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.13 (more detailed)
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.14
GD version: bundled (2.1.0 compatible)
MySQL version: 5.7.18-percona-sure1-log
PHP: 5.6.31
Server version: Apache

sdub

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can give me admin and ftp access (server/username/password) I'll have a look.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: