SMF is asking for my mySQL root credentials before allowing me to log in to SMF

Started by [email protected], August 22, 2017, 08:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

I've had some server issues for a few days caused, I think, by a mysql error precipitated by SMF. My hosting service also believes this error has its roots in mysql. The attached screen shot illustrates the problem...a bit.

Is there a way to do a refresh/repair install without wiping out my SMF setup?  Otherwise, I may just scrap the whole installation and reinstall. I could export the database so, hopefully, I don't lose everything.

Any thoughts.

Many thanks.

Patrick

br360

The 127 ip in that warning is a local host set up. You might try repair_settings and see if that resolves the issue. Take a look at this link-
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

Illori

what did you last change? is it possible you add an image somewhere and put in an incorrect URL and now it is asking for a login to get access to that image?

that is not a mysql login prompt.

Arantor

And if your host thinks this is MySQL related, they have no idea what they're talking about and you should consider an alternative hosting company.

[email protected]

Quote from: Arantor on August 23, 2017, 07:30:31 AM
And if your host thinks this is MySQL related, they have no idea what they're talking about and you should consider an alternative hosting company.

Arantor:

I received the following from my Hosting Service:

That's not a mysql connection error.

That's a browser authentication window. The server sent a website back to your browser that asked your browser to retreive resources from localhost, and your localhost server (probably the one you used to build the site) is asking you to authenticate before sending your browser that information.

The only appearance of 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' in your site code should be the mysql hostname. Any other instance of that address in both the configuration files and in the database should actually be your website domain name.

Here's the content of my settings.php file:

########## Maintenance ##########
# Note: If $maintenance is set to 2, the forum will be unusable!  Change it to 0 to fix it.
$maintenance = 0; # Set to 1 to enable Maintenance Mode, 2 to make the forum untouchable. (you'll have to make it 0 again manually!)
$mtitle = 'Maintenance Mode'; # Title for the Maintenance Mode message.
$mmessage = 'Okay faithful users...we\'re attempting to restore an older backup of the database...news will be posted once we\'re back!'; # Description of why the forum is in maintenance mode.

########## Forum Info ##########
$mbname = 'Niagara Liberals Policy Forum'; # The name of your forum.
$language = 'english'; # The default language file set for the forum.
$boardurl = 'http://XXX.XX.XXX.XXX/smf'; # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)
$webmaster_email = '[email protected]'; # Email address to send emails from. (like [email protected].)
$cookiename = 'SMFCookie11'; # Name of the cookie to set for authentication.

########## Database Info ##########
$db_type = 'mysql';
$db_server = 'localhost';
$db_name = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
$db_user = 'niagaral_XXXXXXXXXXXX';
$db_passwd = 'XXXXXXXXXXX';
$ssi_db_user = '';
$ssi_db_passwd = '';
$db_prefix = 'smfxe_';
$db_persist = 0;
$db_error_send = 1;

########## Directories/Files ##########
# Note: These directories do not have to be changed unless you move things.
$boarddir = dirname(__FILE__); # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
$sourcedir = dirname(__FILE__) . '/Sources'; # Path to the Sources directory.
$cachedir = dirname(__FILE__) . '/cache'; # Path to the cache directory.

########## Error-Catching ##########
# Note: You shouldn't touch these settings.
$db_last_error = 1503219156;

?>

What do you think? Any thoughts on where in settings.php I could start my search?

Many thanks

Patrick

Illori

the issue is not at all related to your Settings.php file.

what did you last change before this started to happen?

Arantor

The board URL seems to be an IP address. Like 127.0.0.1 maybe...? It probably shouldn't be an IP address.

[email protected]

Hello All:
I have managed to solve the issue thanks everyone's insights.

Patrick

br360

Glad to hear it. Would you mind sharing how you resolved this as it may help others as well.

shawnb61

It's been a while & we have never heard back.

I am going to close this one out.

Too bad, it would have been nice to learn what the issue was here...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

live627

Advertisement: