News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Text Area Re-Color Issue.

Started by razzy, August 23, 2017, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

razzy

Once again I've run into an issue. It's so minor, but I've been quietly ripping my hair out over it.

I almost have the forum I'm building fully customized, with just the right amount of Mod's that the future members will love...etc.

Although I'm a bit stuck, because I cant find the codes to customize the Text Area(typing area) on the board, or for the ChatBar thats installed.
With the SA Chat, I quickly found where the 'background' color of that particular typing area is, but then I'm stuck.

Should I be looking up code help for the typing area's and drop down menu's? Sorry, i'm just lost because html/css is my strong suit, not php.

TehCraw

Can we get a link to your forum, and also a description of what you're trying to do to the text area?
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

razzy

All I'm trying to do is invert the colors. so white to black, and black to light grey. It's nothing major, I just was curious to know if it's extra code I need to add because I've had a hard time finding the color codes in css.

ill pm the link

TehCraw

Thanks. This is pretty easy to do. In your theme's css file, near the top (line 74-ish), there's this section:

input, button, select, textarea
{
font: 95%/115% verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
color: #000;
background: #ccc;
border: 1px solid #fff;
padding: 2px;
}

You can change the color, background and border values to whatever you like. For example I tried the following on your site and it looks pretty good.

input, button, select, textarea
{
font: 95%/115% verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
color: #ddd;
background: #333;
border: 1px solid #444;
padding: 2px;
}
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

TehCraw

Also, for future reference, you can use your browser's inspect element to quickly find what CSS to change and even try changes "live." Just right-click on any element on the page, then click "Inspect" on Chrome, or "Inspect Element" on Firefox. A screen should pop up displaying the HTML of that element and the relevant CSS should be on the right side.

razzy

Ah right. Thank you for going out of your way to help with that. Now I'll be able to finish getting things looking the way I need them to.

Forgot about Inspect Element. Thank you for the reminder. lol

Advertisement: