News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Upgrading from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 broke our forum

Started by probeman, August 25, 2017, 03:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

probeman

Quote from: Illori on August 25, 2017, 06:04:10 PM
while you are waiting, do you know what version of php is running on your server? 2.0.14 requires php 5.4 or higher. this may also help with the error you are getting.

It was running v. 5.3 PHP I think, but after it failed the SMF update from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14, the NS people had me update the PHP and SQL servers both to 5.6 I think.

I can see the databases are 5.6, how do I see what PHP version I have? Just to double check.
john

Sir Osis of Liver

You can find php version in your host control panel.  If forum is running, it's in Admin -> Support and Credits.  Or you can upload attached file to forum root and link to it directly.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

drewactual

fwiw, my thoughts are that most instances of php standard provision install times out quickly by default, and the transfer limit is 2m by default. 

go into your file manager and unload the 2.0.13 backup compressed file- it should pretty much be that easy, and then access your DB and dig that corrupted file (by default php5 to 7 allows 2M max; it didn't swallow the whole thing) and prune it from the table.

you can shut down the pdf file extension and the upload size via the admin control for future protection. 

probeman

I have error logging turned on since yesterday, but no error log yet!

AncientDragonfly

Quote from: Illori on August 25, 2017, 06:04:10 PM
while you are waiting, do you know what version of php is running on your server? 2.0.14 requires php 5.4 or higher. this may also help with the error you are getting.

FWIW, the page generated by:
http://forum.domain.com/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=smf_patch_2.0.14.tar.gz
says:
QuoteThis release requires at least PHP 5.3 to function. Most hosts should have it or something newer. You can check which version of PHP that you are running by visiting the "Support and Credits" section of the Administration Center.

You can enable the new image proxy feature at Admin -> Configuration -> Server Settings -> General

Sitting here myself on PHP 5.3 with the error:
Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /home/domain/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 133

Updating the PHP version with cPanel appears to have fixed the error for me, but I haven't been all through it yet, just stopped getting an error when moving to another page. 

But the page seen before the 2.0.14 update is applied appears to be wrong as to what version PHP is required. That should be a simple fix in the patch, shouldn't it, so others who read the instructions don't end up broken with this error message?

Kindred

Actually, no... "fixing" that wording would require a new patch, and thus will not happen, since 2.0.14 is already out there and releasing a new version of 2.0.14 would just cause more confusion.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

AncientDragonfly

Quote from: Kindred on August 26, 2017, 08:50:13 PM
Actually, no... "fixing" that wording would require a new patch, and thus will not happen, since 2.0.14 is already out there and releasing a new version of 2.0.14 would just cause more confusion.

Ok, well,  maybe people will run across this thread if they have a problem with it. 

I would have gone ahead and updated php before doing the 2.0.14 patch if I had known, but I didn't because I thought it would work out with php 5.3 and I'd update php once I was done with the SMF update. 

Anyway, thanks to Illori for saying it, even if updating php didn't fix the OP's problem.  Sure is fast on php 7.0.   :)

Arantor

It doesn't actually require a new patch, it just requires updating the existing one and honestly, it would have been worth doing to avoid the last three months' worth of support hassle. It's not like 2.0.14 didn't already get stealth updated...

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on August 27, 2017, 04:35:20 AM
It doesn't actually require a new patch, it just requires updating the existing one and honestly, it would have been worth doing to avoid the last three months' worth of support hassle. It's not like 2.0.14 didn't already get stealth updated...

I agree, it just needs sorting out.  And if I'm reading this thread correctly, https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=555857.0  then this could also apply to the full install zip, and the large upgrade zip which is in the downloads.  2.0.14 comes with two themes, but it sounds like only one of them is actually compatible with 2.0.14 Core hasn't got the login fix applied to it?

Sir Osis of Liver

Login session check is not in Core theme, looking at large upgrade package d/led in June.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

probeman

Hi, I'm the sad newbie that ran into this buzzsaw 4 days ago and started this topic.  Here's the update:

I finally got Network Solutions to help fix their PHP server connection to the SMF database.  Apparently after updating to PHP 5.6 the SMF database was still pointing to the old connection.

The guy there wrote: "The MySQL database had been upgraded, but the configuration was still poinitng to the old database server. Once I updated the database server in /smf/Settings.php the forum started working."

So now the SMF forum is back up, but when I went in again to update to 2.0.14 (I do want the security fixes!), the installer page warned me that there were failures in the test installation and that I should not proceed.

Then I noticed that we used to have a Gallery add-on for placing in-line images in posts, but that link at the top of the page is now missing.  However, previous in-line images are still showing.

Is the Gallery add-on still compatible with 2.0.14?  Or is did the gallery add-on get broken during the PHP and mySQL update?

probeman

I now notice that in the Package Manager | Browse Packages there are several packages listed with a "Install Mod" link.  Including one for the Gallery Lite package.

Is it safe to click these Install Mod links?

I also note that we're now getting lots of spammers since the forum has come back up, and that the "Stop Forum Spam" and "ReCAPTCHA" also have "Install Mod" links visible.

If an "Install Mod" link is visible does that mean it should be reinstalled?
john

Kindred

how did you upgrade?   If you used the patch, then the upgrade would not have removed mods... if you used the large upgrade - or you or your host put a clean set of files, then youd mods would have been uninstalled.

As for "safe to install" mods..

1- always take a backup before doing anything
2- you need to make sure the mods are actually uninstalled.
3- Good Questions are the best spammer prevention method...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

probeman

Thanks for the response.

I think these Install Mod links are present again because I did a reinstall using the Network Solutions Account Manager Re-install link out of sheer panic when the 2.014 update broke my user forum.  But I think that NS re-install installed an old version of SMF.  Then Network Solution restored a more recent backup so I am apparently at 2.013 but the sources folder and themes folders are out of date apparently now.

So now that I am running PHP server 5.6 then I should be able to go ahead and install 2.0.14?  Last time I tried 2.014 it broke my user forum connection.  Then I had network Solutions install PHP 5.6, then they had to modify the php files to point to the new PHP server.

So I guess I am OK to go on 2.0.14?  I see mention of some uncompatible 'themes" in posts above- so is it safe to go ahead to 2.014 now that I'm running PHP 5.6?

probeman

Another question: the Network Solution guy said that all the files in the smf folder need to have file permissions of 755, that is read/write execute for owner and group and read and execute for public.

It looks like he went ahead and did that, so I just wanted to check that he is correct.

Oh, and I did the Install Mod on the Gallery Lite update and it brought back the Gallery link, yeeeaaaah!

Now one last oddity.  The order of the boards looks OK in the Admin | Forum | Boards | Modify Boards page, but the order is different in the actual forum.  I check the order designations and they seem fine.  Doing them again doesn't change the order...

Kindred

Chmod 644 is good for files, normally, 755 for directories

Слaва
Украинi

probeman

Quote from: Kindred on August 29, 2017, 09:02:30 PM
Chmod 644 is good for files, normally, 755 for directories

Sorry for a stupid question but if I set the file permissions to 644, that means that no files will have execute permissions. Is that correct?

Also no one has responded to my question: is it safe to update to SMF 2.0.14?   Now that I'm running PHP server 5.6...  I note above some discussion above regarding incompatible themes...

Finally when I do a "Detailed Version Check" from the admin page, it reports that I have SMF 2.0.13, but my Sources,  Default Templates and Language Files are still 2.0.

Should I update these Sources,  Default Templates and Language Files folders to 2.0.14?  Should I update SMF from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 first or after these folders?

Are there instructions available for an idiot like myself?
john

Kindred

Apply the 2.0.14 patch. That will update everything that needs to be updated.

Yes, some custom themes will need a manual edit to do the login properly
Слaва
Украинi

probeman

Quote from: Kindred on August 30, 2017, 06:47:24 PM
Apply the 2.0.14 patch. That will update everything that needs to be updated.

Yes, some custom themes will need a manual edit to do the login properly

OK, thanks. I haven't customized any themes so I should be OK I guess. I'll update using the SMF admin web page.

probeman

I tried to install 2.0.14 (from 2.0.13) but I get a large number of Test Unsuccessful errors (I am running PHP 5.6 on the database).  It says:

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

The forum seems to be running fine at the moment, but what do I do now to update from 2.0.13 to 2.014?

I think I need to hire an SMF expert...
john

Advertisement: