News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF fail?

Started by efk, September 01, 2017, 05:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efk

Arantor

This is called a race condition and is a natural part of computing science.

efk

So my post was 1st but his post is a winner. Btw I've used "Preview" and there was red message about new post just before my post and only post was his post so he posted at least 15 seconds before I did. In other words maybe I used Preview in the same time he posted so forum read Preview as 1st and counted/exchanged time like that.

Arantor

Nope, that's not what happened.

It's a race condition, nothing more.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Arantor on September 01, 2017, 06:01:07 PM

What in the world is that?

d3vcho

"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

SleePy

This should be corrected. Its not a SMF fail, but servers configuration issue.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

efk

Quote from: efk on September 01, 2017, 05:39:25 PM
So my post was 1st but his post is a winner. Btw I've used "Preview" and there was red message about new post just before my post and only post was his post so he posted at least 15 seconds before I did. In other words maybe I used Preview in the same time he posted so forum read Preview as 1st and counted/exchanged time like that.
Quote from: Arantor on September 01, 2017, 06:01:07 PM

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34510/what-is-a-race-condition

This answer about "check and act" (marked as useful for 746 users) in some way confirms my theory how there is a chance that when I used "Preview" button, other member at the same time used "Post" button so I believe how that is the reason for placing his post after mine. I used Preview about 20 seconds before posting, so that must to have connection in this case. When any of these buttons is used, there is usually about a 1 second before post becomes visible in preview or public.
Also this is 2nd or 3rd time that I saw this to happen, of course previously on another forum.

Arantor

Or not.

There are multiple servers that host this forum. They have different times set on them, and it is the server's time that is stored in the database. If one server is set to being 30 seconds ahead of the other, this can happen.

But I guess a former SMF dev and the current site manager of this site know less about PHP and servers than you do...

Advertisement: