16.   SMF Gallery Pro   7.2.2
17.   Google Member Map   3.0
18.   Downloads System   3.0
19.   Like Posts   2.0.5     
20.   Sortable Packages (and Installed Time)   1.3.5
21.   Social Login   3.5     
22.   Yet Another YouTube BBCode Tag   4.1
23.   Resize Attached Images   2.4.1

My host states that they automatically backup my entire site (entire contents, not just SMF database, everything) daily using JetBackUp. 

I suppose that it would be prudent, nevertheless, to manually backup the database before commencing any upgrade, following:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup
If so, is the first (cpanel) or 2nd (phpmyadmin) method the best?

I gather that 2.0.14 requires PHP5.4 as a minimum, so I'm fine on that front.

If I do upgrade from PHP5.6 to PHP7, then I suppose 7.1 rather than 7.0 would be the one to use?

I'd appreciate any tips / tricks / and especially warnings about the upgrade processes involved.

I'd also particularly appreciate if people can tell me if they are aware that any of the mods I have installed are incompatible either with SMF2.0.14 or PHP7

Thank you.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Illori

cant hurt to do more then one backup, in case there is an issue with the backup.

d3vcho

Good luck with your upgrades. I'm sure they'll go fine. Now, regarding mods, the only one I know that doesn't work on PHP7 is Like posts, but here you have the fix to make that Mod work with PHP7.

I'm sorry I don't know about the others.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

lurkalot

landyvlad

Thanks people.

Keep the good advice coming if anyone else cares to contribute
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's been my experience working on many hosts that cpanel backup is generally most reliable because it's entirely serverside, and not subject to timeouts.  phpmyadmin will often timeout without error, even if the database is not large.  Whichever method you use, do it 2-3 times, make sure file sizes are the same.  And empty your error log before you dump the db, I've worked on several forums that had gigabyte databases, all but a few mb of which was error log.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

landyvlad

Thank you.

I suppose that also leads into the question as to pros/cons in upgrading from PHP 5 to 7 ?

Sir Osis of Liver

2.0.14 will run in 7.0/7.1, but you may have problems with some mods, and other scripts you may be running on the server.  php 5.6 is still supported, that's what I'm using.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

landyvlad

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Is there something you still require assistance with, or is this topic ready to be marked solved? :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: