News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Transferred SMF 2.0.14 to new server now have attachment errors

Started by Ed2, September 04, 2017, 09:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed2

Transferred  www.RustyBowtie.com to the Godaddy CPanel and now the previous attachments (pictures) do not display (for signed in members) all we see is the file name and when hit the file we get an 404- Attachment not found message.

I tried a test with attachment and get The attachments upload directory is not writeable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved. 

Some of the members avatars are not showing up also.

Pictures are set so only signed members can see them. Can't upgrade to 2.0.15 until CPanel is up and running.

Sir Osis of Liver

Check the path in Admin -> Attachments and Avatars -> Attachment Settings -> Attachments directory

What are the permissions for that directory?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ed2

Indicates "Enable all attachments".

Do you think it's safe to run forum maintenance to look for and correct errors?

shawnb61

Is your attachments directory properly restored?  Is it visible in the file system?

"Is not writable" unfortunately also returns an issue if it doesn't exist as well.  This sounds like the directory wasn't restored, OR, the directory in the file system is out of sync with the directory listed in:
     Admin | Forum | Attachments and Avatars | Attachment settings

Depending on your settings, some avatars are stored as attachments.  An inconsistency here would explain all your symptoms.    Make sure your locations specified in your settings & file system are in sync.

repair_settings.php may help here.

*** DO NOT RUN THE ATTACHMENT INTEGRITY CHECK under Attachments and Avatars, File Maintenance ***   If the directory doesn't exist, it will assume the attachments don't exist & clean it all up, making the problem worse.  At that point, even a restore won't work, because the links to attachments within posts will have been removed.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Ed2 on September 04, 2017, 10:28:06 PM

That's an attachment setting.  You need to find the directory permissions using FTP client or your host file manager.  Directories are usually 755, files 644.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ed2

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 04, 2017, 11:01:24 PM
Quote from: Ed2 on September 04, 2017, 10:28:06 PM

That's an attachment setting.  You need to find the directory permissions using FTP client or your host file manager.  Directories are usually 755, files 644.

OK...will look into it..Thanks

Ed2

Still trying to figure out CPanel...but attached a permission screen shot I located...does it indicate any problems?

shawnb61

Those permissions look fine.

What is the attachment directory listed in Admin -> Attachments and Avatars -> Attachment Settings -> Attachments directory?

I still don't think it's pointed in the right place...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Ed2

Quote from: shawnb61 on September 05, 2017, 08:40:14 PM
Those permissions look fine.

What is the attachment directory listed in Admin -> Attachments and Avatars -> Attachment Settings -> Attachments directory?

I still don't think it's pointed in the right place...

shawnb61  ... sorry I'm having trouble navigating (locating) the Admin -> Attachments and Avatars -> Attachment Settings -> Attachments directory in Cpanel.  Will keep looking.

Thanks

shawnb61

Not in cpanel, in SMF....  I suspect SMF is looking in the wrong place for attachments.

Ed2

OK...just attached a picture of my 3500hd.com forum..same problem.

I use the Breen template..but noticed that the SMFGallery2 path is incorrect...how about I hit the "attempt to reset all themes" button?

Update: same situation with rustybowtie.com 

shawnb61

One problem at a time...   

First...  Find your Attachments directory & fix it.  Click on the Attachments and Avatars | Attachment Settings and look at the entry for the attachments directory.  For you, I think it will be along the lines of:
home/ziptow12919/public_html/3500hd/attachments
home/ziptow12919/public_html/rustybowtie/3500hd/attachments

Next...  Do those themes work?   I doubt it...  If they are not working, it looks like the reset all themes button would be worth a try. 

Ed2

OK got the new attachments problem worked out after reading Message #17 of this post:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=292914.0

The previously loaded images still won't display but I feel this post will correct that:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=552945.0

Won't e able to work on it until tomorrow...."getting there", if not I will start a new post for that specific problem

Thanks

shawnb61

Bear in mind these names are case-sensitive...   yadayada/blahblah/attachments is different from yadayada/blahBlah/attachments...   

Look at the folders very carefully in cpanel filemanager, and make sure they match what is in your admin control panel setting. 

repair_settings.php is VERY HELPFUL and may actually be a better way to go:
   https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=18096.0

You put repair_settings.php in the root folder of your forum (where settings.php is), then execute it from your browser.  Click on the "recommended value" links wherever things look wrong...   

Delete repair_settings.php when done.

Advertisement: