a question

Started by Calestia, September 06, 2017, 09:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calestia

Quote from: Arantor on November 01, 2017, 04:17:43 AM
Quote from: Calestia on October 31, 2017, 08:48:34 PM
Quote from: Arantor on October 31, 2017, 02:36:49 PM
Mostly because it's not actually that useful to have a list of former staff displayed prominently, when a list of current staff is actually useful.
I Know but this list its show old managements .

Who is going to care? If you put it in a post somewhere so their effort is recognised, sure, but on the front page? No one is going to care.
well i care and many like me do  , thanks for reply here :)

Quote from: Kindred on October 31, 2017, 10:40:43 PM
Quote from: Kindred on October 29, 2017, 05:10:38 PM
create an html block and manually type in the names.
can you show me how to create it manually ?

Illori

do you know any html? or bbc depending on your portal?
if so you can just create a new block of that type and enter the information and style it as you wish.

Arantor

You're actually the first person I can think of that requested it. It also undervalues your current moderators because it just means they could all leave tomorrow and still be in the list.

Calestia

Quote from: Illori on November 01, 2017, 03:16:12 PM
if so you can just create a new block of that type and enter the information and style it as you wish.
Yeah i know that but i dont know how to script that lol .

Arantor

You just put it in as plain HTML and add to it every time you change staff.

aegersz

I use Simple Portal and a mod to automatically present the staff list in a block. The mod just add a new Permission to mark non-admins and non-mods as staff for display purposes in the block but other than that, it keeps current automatically.

just giving you an alternative, if you don't want to code anything but SP will probably make you want to reconfigure it to suit your tastes; however NOTE that it's current and future support is uncertain at this time.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Calestia

Quote from: aegersz on November 02, 2017, 09:02:03 PM
I use Simple Portal and a mod to automatically present the staff list in a block. The mod just add a new Permission to mark non-admins and non-mods as staff for display purposes in the block but other than that, it keeps current automatically.

just giving you an alternative, if you don't want to code anything but SP will probably make you want to reconfigure it to suit your tastes; however NOTE that it's current and future support is uncertain at this time.
Yeah i see your forums because you already add link on your signature , but you can change anything you want in this staff ?

for example :
A
Community Honored Staff .

aegersz

I setup membergroups and put people in such as the Founders (i am one of them)
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Illori

Quote from: aegersz on November 03, 2017, 02:48:27 AM
I setup membergroups and put people in such as the Founders (i am one of them)
do you have the ability to add users that dont exist any longer as members? this is what the op wants, not just creating groups for existing users. i dont think that is possible with a staff block that any portal offers. it has to be custom coded.

aegersz

no, you would need to create dummy members and create a special group for them I guess.

I have an ex-staff group.

Kindred

or you could just... as I have been saying...  make it a static HTML list

that would be SO MUCH EASIER that trying to mod something like this or put deleted user accounts into a special category or anything else...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aegersz

landyvlad

I'm with Arantor on this. I certainly wouldn't care either.
In reality how many people actually look at a forums front page?  I hardly ever do.

As numerous have said such as Kindred, Arantor and -

That's the best way to go about it. Super easy if you are using a portal. If you are, ask in the support for that portal how you would go about it.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

SaltedWeb

Simple Portal has a block that allows you to create a side block of Staff, you could then use a mod called Fake Users I think it called it allows you to create fake users. Or you could just create a couple of accounts for them that have fake drop off emails and make them admin and then use that portal block for staff. As mentioned their is no real reason to have such a set up if people will never see new post from them, however using fake users I do believe you can post with them as well. You'd have to look but those are my ideas.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Calestia

Quote from: landyvlad on January 16, 2018, 11:40:14 PM

That's the best way to go about it. Super easy if you are using a portal. If you are, ask in the support for that portal how you would go about it.
Link Please ?

landyvlad

Link to what?

If you mean a portal (assuming you don't use one at the moment) try https://www.tinyportal.net/
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: