News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Unusually large number of new members registering --- seems bogus

Started by ar3thur, September 11, 2017, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ar3thur

Our forum has been offline for a few years and we've just updated it prior to upgrading shortly and brought it back online.  We used to see a few new members a week or possibly one or two a day at the very peak of popularity.  Now, even though not many know that we are back online, we are getting dozens and dozens of new member registrations, many of which seem suspicious and not genuine.  Registration is set up for member activation to prevent invalid email addresses, so it's not that.  Plus, almost none of the new members has posted anything and the few that have seem to be posting offers for things to be purchased.

Any ideas why this might be happening and how we can make sure that new member registrations are really real?

ar3thur

Looking

You need to make use of SMF's anti-spam in Admin, however in my experience it takes more than that. I have custom coded certain things that stops Spammers in their tracks.

Arantor

Quote from: Looking on September 11, 2017, 12:44:36 PM
You need to make use of SMF's anti-spam in Admin, however in my experience it takes more than that. I have custom coded certain things that stops Spammers in their tracks.

SMF 1.1 has a fraction of the options SMF 2.0 has...

Illori

Quote from: Looking on September 11, 2017, 12:44:36 PM

SMF 1.1.* does not have that feature. you would need to upgrade to SMF 2.0 to get that feature.

Advertisement: