I am receiving the error "Connection Problems Sorry, SMF was unable to connect"

Started by hiii98, September 13, 2017, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiii98

I setup this forum almost 7 years ago, i have periodically done updates and changed the themes around.  I have not been in webdevelopment for the past 4+ years so I am extremely out of loop.  I suddenly was told by the forum users that I have the error ""Connection Problems  Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."  I run the file RepairBoards.php and i get the error "Hacking attempt..."  I am willing to pay someone to help me recover the database or change whatever parameter has broken.  I use Godaddy as a server. I am also willing to do the work as well as the information on that forum was extremely important (well I guess thats relative).  I verified with Godaddy that the settings are correct but again, i'm not a server admin, or web developer or programmer.  THis is out of my field and after trying for 2 weeks now to recover it on my own, i need your help.  the site is www.skinwalkerranch.org/forum

Sir Osis of Liver

Do you have database and file backups?  Have you checked the database credentials in Settings.php?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

hiii98

"Do you have database and file backups?"  no idea.  Is that something i need to pay godaddy for? is that hidden on the server automatically? 

Yes i checked the db credentials in settings.php they all look correct but again i'm a amateur and not 100% sure i trust my conclusion.  I also spoke with a godaddy rep who confirmed they should be correct.  I feel something dramatic happened to my db, or something changed overnight. 

Can i start a new SMF board and transfer all the files over and have it magically work?  I've opened up a new board already and its working perfectly however obviously there is no past data in it. 

Illori

you need the database otherwise you loose all the content. the files dont hold the users/posts/messages etc that have been made.

hiii98

what can i do to find or check the database?  I'm just familiar with FTP to the server.

Illori

do you have access to phpmyadmin it should be in the hosts control panel? you can do backup from there.

are you sure that you are connecting to the correct database server with the correct database username and password? you may need these details to connect to phpmyadmin.

hiii98

yes i am currently logged into phpmyadmin.  absolutely  no idea what to do now from here, but i am in :)

Illori

Illori

then compare the details you see/used to what is in your Settings.php file. you can also use repair_settings.php to view the details as well.
What is repair_settings.php?

hiii98

please be more specific.  I can ftp and look at my setttings.php file however i cannot load it from the webbrowser.  Also what do i do while in the database?  What do you specifically want me to click and look at that is different than me ftp ing into the server and looking at the settings.php file?

Illori

if you use repair_settings.php it will show you the database server name/username/password/prefix you need to confirm they are the same as you use to connect to phpmyadmin.
the prefix is the first few characters for each table name, for example most are smf_

hiii98

settings are spot on as far as i can tell.  i verified each one table (?) by table

when i run the test.php script (someone else posted the code somewhere on here) i get the following error

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/70/4821170/html/forum/test.php on line 5
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Illori

what version of php is being run on your server?

do you know what version of SMF you have installed?

Illori

hiii98

Illori

Quote from: hiii98 on September 14, 2017, 11:24:21 AM
smfVersion   1.1.9

mysql-5.0.96

most likely your host has upgraded to php 7.0 and you are running SMF 1.1.* which will never support php 7. you need to upgrade your forum to SMF 2.0.14. you find instructions on the wiki on how to complete the upgrade.

hiii98

in essence does this just involve downloading the lattest version, uploading and OVERWRITING my files on the server via ftp.  Then what?  What about permissions.  I am reading the tutorial...and alittle leary.

Advertisement: