I am receiving the error "Connection Problems Sorry, SMF was unable to connect"

Started by hiii98, September 13, 2017, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiii98

I finally got into the UPGRADE.php and got it to somehow work, however i cannot progress as it says

!!Critical Error!
Cannot connect to the database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.

whenever i put in my username and password.  These are the same username and password i use to enter the mysqladmin .  I am really confused.  The same username i use for FTP, where else can i find the proper credentials?

hiii98

just verified via FTP the username and password work.... so now WTF is the problem??? why doesnt someone just step up take $20 paypal and take alook at this.  I cant imagine its that complicated if you know what your doing.

I am still gettting the error

!!Critical Error!
Cannot connect to the database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.

Illori

hiii98

totally a cop out answer.  Where do i find the exact username and password?  Lets assume i am putting in the exact username and password... NOW WhAT?? asking the host anything is useless they are not programmers and dont care to help me.  I've done everything you've said... NOW WHAT?    I can get the update.php file to run but it wont let me progress past Step 3 database settings.  Obviously whateverr the ****** its looking for is hidden somwhere in the database file.  Where?  How do i get them to match?  I've changed my password countless times to both my database and the ftp user.  Still doesnt work.  I'm logged on via a ftp client with username and password...still wont accept it in the upgrade.  Is the upgrade broken?

Illori

if you change the database password you need to enter it in the repair_settings.php file so it gets updated in SMF.

hiii98

i did, what is the table prefix?  mine say smf_  who do I know if thats correct or not?

hiii98

I did enter into repair and yes it updated settings.php .  I get this error in repair_settings.php displayed while running the app

Some settings are not being shown because the database connection information is incorrect.
Check your database login details, table prefix and that the database actually contains your SMF tables.

Illori

at this point it seems like you may be better posting in the help wanted board and hiring someone to take a look at what is going on and fix it up for you.

Advertisement: