Keeping installed forum synced with SMF repo

Started by siavoshkc, September 15, 2017, 10:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

siavoshkc

Well when someone with coding and or developing abilities installs SMF which can often be the case, he may do some modifications to the website for good. For example I may see a bug and do a quick fix for myself and never tell anyone about that. Just like my current issue with captcha.

The alternative is I talk to devs about the issue, suggest a solution or even provide the fixation. Then I wait for the next version with issue fixed. This way I can be sync with the repo so there wouldn't be any problems specific to me as a result of my (supposed to be) fixations. And other users will benefit from the fixation or added features.

My question is that is there any guideline or best practice on this matter?
Persian Translator

Suki

Do you mean keeping your test eviroment sync?

If so, there are multiple ways to do so and it depeends on your own configuration and how much automatization you want.

I keep a .bat file with a simple xcopy instruction and I manually call it whenever I want to sync my dev env with a repo. This is because I like to keep my repos on a separate folder as well as allowing me to have multiple repos (from mods) to point out to the same SMF install.

But after viewing your other issues I don't think thasts what you want. Perhaps you just want to learn git?
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

shawnb61

When I have some updates that I want to keep sync'd with the latest Github download, I use a
git rebase upstream/release-2.1.
on my "current active" github branch. 

That takes all upstream commits, puts them in your current active branch, and takes YOUR updates and pushes them to the end of the stack.  Having your updates at the end of the stack makes it easy to do a PR later.  Sometimes you get merge issues which you must deal with manually. 

If you'll never issue a PR, you can just do a regular merge.   

After doing the rebase/merge into your target branch, like Suki says, you can then just copy from your github folder to your test environment folder. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

siavoshkc

Just found out I created this thread on the wrong board. Sorry.

So I create a local repo. Do my changes in it and make a PR for the changes.

Persian Translator

siavoshkc

Another issue here  ::)
2.0 repo is no longer accessible? Well in this case I think I have to keep all my mods to myself until I upgrade to 2.1.
Persian Translator

Arantor

siavoshkc

Persian Translator

Illori

siavoshkc

Persian Translator

Arantor

Speaking as someone who's worked on probably amongst the largest and most complex SMF mods, and having had them in repos, my experience has been that I generally kept the repos separate of the SMF installation because the files need to not get intermixed into SMF's own, e.g. package-info.xml needs to not be mixed in anywhere.

Advertisement: