SMF PHP 7.0 and MariaDB 10.1

Started by Valtam, September 19, 2017, 11:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtam

Hi everyone,

My webhost has just sent me and email saying that PHP will soon be upgraded from 5.6 to the latest version of 7.0 and MySQL will be upgraded from 5.6.35 to the latest version of MariaDB 10.1.

So my question is, is SMF 2.0.14 compatible with PHP 7.0 and MariaDB 10.1?
If not for either one, what are if any, the changes that I need to make?

Thank you.

vbgamer45

SMF 2.0.14 is php 7 ready    MariaDb is not officially supported. it is very close to mysql you may experience minor issues.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Valtam

For future reference, I can confirm SMF 2.0.14 works with PHP 7.0 and MariaDB 10.1

a10

MySQL version: 10.1.28-MariaDB-1~xenial
PHP: 7.0.24

'Maria' for a very long time here, zero problems.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Erikson

Does not work with me. The MariaDB does not create several tables in the install routine.

OS Debian Stretch - (10.1.26-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 Debian 9.1)

Quote from: a10 on October 09, 2017, 06:30:52 AM
MySQL version: 10.1.28-MariaDB-1~xenial
PHP: 7.0.24

'Maria' for a very long time here, zero problems.

Erikson
The best Forum Software? - SMF ./. The Best Support? - SMF-Support

a10

Hello, can only report about this version\combination, 10.1.28-MariaDB-1~xenial, PHP: 7.0.24. Runs 100% well, 2 forums (for many, many years on the hosting).

But, have not tried any fresh install for a long time. May test that someday to see how it behaves.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Erikson

Hallo dear a10 ;)

What I'm really surprised about is that I get an old version of a new MariaDB installation. Stable version is 10.3 Newly installed version is 10.1.26. Sorry, I do not understand.

sudo apt-get -y install mariadb-server mariadb-client

Quote from: a10 on September 01, 2018, 01:41:41 PM
Hello, can only report about this version\combination, 10.1.28-MariaDB-1~xenial, PHP: 7.0.24. Runs 100% well, 2 forums (for many, many years on the hosting).

But, have not tried any fresh install for a long time. May test that someday to see how it behaves.

Erikson ???

a10

Just checked the hosting, 'maria' is now 10.1.30. All still well.

a10

Tested a fresh install, all done (from start of ftp'ing files to ready forum) in less than 5 minutes.
Zero problems. Ref creating tables, see attachment. So at least the 'maria' in use on my host is definitely good.

Erikson

Dear a10,

Excuse me, my mistake. The latest stable version is of course 10.1.30! ;)

Quote from: a10 on September 02, 2018, 04:09:59 AM
Just checked the hosting, 'maria' is now 10.1.30. All still well.

Erikson

Erikson

Dear a10,

I do not use FTP. I send the files via terminal. What still amazes me and I absolutely do not understand is that the install routine does not install the latest version ?! Why? Why do I get an old version installed? I will uninstall MariaDB again and try a completely new installation. Will contact you again, if it works, but also does not work.

Quote from: a10 on September 02, 2018, 08:07:12 AM
Tested a fresh install, all done (from start of ftp'ing files to ready forum) in less than 5 minutes.
Zero problems. Ref creating tables, see attachment. So at least the 'maria' in use on my host is definitely good.

Erikson

Kindred

well, do note that MariaDB is not officially supported by SMF 2.0
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

a10

My 'maria' host specifically informs about supporting smf. And it works 100% well.

shawnb61

This topic has come up before.   If you do searches, you'll find several issues with specific implementations of MariaDB.   

Challenges are summed up in this thread:
Quote from: shawnb61 on December 23, 2017, 01:47:53 PM
From the support threads here at SMF, I see two issues with MariaDB.

First, is that some MariaDB implementations have reserved words that conflict with SMF column names.  This causes syntax errors, primarily in installs, upgrades & I believe package installs will have the same issues.  Anywhere columns are added or altered. 

Second, is that their numbering scheme has strayed from MySQL.  ~10.0.2 is somewhat equivalent to ~5.6.   There are several places in SMF code where versions are checked.  This is either used to enable/disable features or to use alternate code.  SMF checks against MySQL version #s, not MariaDB version #s, and there will be issues there.  As a hypothetical example, if MariaDB starts supporting a specific feature in 10.0.5, which mySQL has in 5.7, MariaDB 10.0.2 users will experience "bugs" as SMF thinks the feature is supported, as 10.0.2 > 5.7. 

IMO, these are two fairly significant issues that must be resolved before MariaDB can be formally supported.

An example problem:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=557046.0
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Erikson

I checked Maria DB again with a new installation. This time I get even more mistakes. I forget MariaDB very fast and use MySql again. Problem solved for me. Thanks to shawnb61, a10 and Kindred! ;)

Erikson

soilsearcher

Hi all

My hosts have decided to upgrade to the latest Mariadb version, and now my forum gives me session verification failed errors when i try and access the admin or anything to do with entering a password- are there any ways to overcome this, as my hosts say there is nothing wrong with the servers speak to smf for a resolve?

SMF ver             2.0.15
cPanel Version   74.0 (build 6)
Apache Version   2.4.34
PHP Version   7.0.31
MySQL Version   10.2.17-MariaDB
Architecture   x86_64
Operating System   linux

Forum :  www.soilsearcher.com [nofollow]

Regards

Gary

GigaWatt

Entering or Re-Entering the password? Do any of your members report the same issue? Do they have trouble logging in? Have you tried cleaning the forum cache?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

vbgamer45

Solved for user in other post about database sessions
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: