News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Fatal Error, Forum Down

Started by Orophor, September 20, 2017, 05:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orophor

Hello SMF community,

First up, let me say this is only the second time in ten years I've ran into an issue I need help solving with SMF, so thank you all for the awesome free software.

Forum URL
hxxp:tinnu-uin-galadhrim.com/simplemachinesforum [nonactive]
SMF version
Started on 1.1.21, and now a broken 2.0.14
uname -a
Linux hxxp:p3nlhftpg362.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net [nonactive] 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 20 01:26:55 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
PHP version

Today my host (GoDaddy) moved my shared linux server without giving me any warning, which broke my forums. There was red text at the top of the forum index saying their were missing files for the default theme and I couldn't log into the admin panel. Checking the FAQ and searching these fine forums I found the suggestion to correct the paths with repair_settings.php, so I downloaded that to my linux server and ran it from my web browser hxxp:tinnu-uin-galadhrim.com/simplemachinesforum/repair_settings.php [nonactive]

Sure enough, the absolute paths were all wrong, and updating them got rid of the theme error, but I still couldn't access the admin panel or post. I got this error:
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

So after more forum search, I figure I need to get off the unsupported 1.1 branch, and so I follow the steps for https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

I tried to run the upgrade script from hxxp:tinnu-uin-galadhrim.com/simplemachinesforum/upgrade.php [nonactive] and got a Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /home/content/05/12563305/html/simplemachinesforum/upgrade.php on line 854
So I peek into the file with vi and nothing looks obviously wrong, so perhaps foolishly I then tried to run the upgrade from the bash shell on my host with php upgrade.php from the command line, and it seemed to work.

So next trying my forum again, now I get a different error: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in /home/content/05/12563305/html/simplemachinesforum/index.php on line 114
Fearing I've hosed myself, I tried the repair_settings.php again, and it is also hosed: Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /home/content/05/12563305/html/simplemachinesforum/repair_settings.php on line 368
This is where I fear I may have fubar, I still want to get 2.0.14 running but am worried I've hosed it.

How should I go about troubleshooting/recovering?

Thanks in advance,
O

Sir Osis of Liver

You have a code error in index.php.  Attach the file here.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Orophor

The trouble was with my database being too old for 2.0.14, I tried 2.0.13 and it seems to be working now. Thanks for the reply.

Arantor

Firstly it isn't your database being too old, it's your PHP is too old - ask your host to fix it so you're not on a several-year-old version of PHP.

Advertisement: