News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Error with SMF Upgrade Utility

Started by -Scott, September 24, 2017, 09:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Scott

Getting the error below going from last version of smf 1 to smf 2 with the upgrade utility. Any help to get past this step would be appreciated.

Executing database changes
Please be patient - this may take some time on large forums. The time elapsed increments from the server to show progress is being made!
Executing upgrade script 2 of 2.
Executing: "Adding permission profiles for boards." (16 of 42 - of this script)

Error!
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE id_board IN (123,266,346,325,31,56,186,187,62,63,119,121,72,151,267,51,122' at line 3

MySQL version: 5.6.37
PHP: 5.6.31
Server version: Apache

Sir Osis of Liver

Which 1.1 version are you upgrading from?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

-Scott

Crap I can't look now. Pretty sure it was up to the last update 1.1.21

Sir Osis of Liver

If you're not at 1.1.21, try upgrading to .21, if it works, then upgrade to 2.0.14.

- R. Waters

-Scott

Error right away.

Upgrading...
Updating Settings.php... Successful.
Backing up old table data... Unsuccessful!
This query:
CREATE TABLE backup_smf_approval_queue
TYPE=MyISAM CHARACTER SET latin1
SELECT *
FROM smf_approval_queue;
Caused the error:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM CHARACTER SET latin1
SELECT *
FROM smf_approval_queue' at line 2

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

-Scott

Sir Osis of Liver

That's not the maintenance mode page.  Can you get it out of maint mode?  Look in Settings.php, do this -

$maintenance = '0';

Would like to see what you have.

- R. Waters

-Scott

Sir Osis of Liver

You may have a partially upgraded database.  Did you make a backup before you did upgrade?

- R. Waters

-Scott

Yes I checked the backup box. I'm out of my element with the database stuff  :'(

Sir Osis of Liver

The backup option in the upgrade script creates a set of backup tables in the database before it upgrades the 1.1.21 tables to 2.0.14.  If you didn't do a proper backup before you started, and your host doesn't do automatic daily backups, you'll have to fix the damaged db by dropping the primary tables and renaming the _bak_ tables to restore the database to 1.1.21.   

- R. Waters

-Scott

I don't want to screw this up further. Going to use the charter membership help with install.
btw cool nickname

Thanks a bunch sir!

Sir Osis of Liver

Good luck with that.  Am no longer on the team, so can't help you there.  If you can pm cpanel access (url/username/password) will take a look, but will be going offline shortly.

- R. Waters

Steve

You can trust Sir Osis. Let him help you if he's willing.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

Interesting mess.  As per previous posts, upgrade failed, forum loads but links don't work.   Forum files were a mix of 1.1.x files, backup tables in database were apparently from 1.1.9 install (it's a very old forum), current tables were from partial 2.0.14 upgrade.  Dropped them, restored backup tables, got forum running in 1.1.9, upgraded successfully to 1.1.21.  Ran 2.0.14 upgrade, got this error about 60% through -

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE id_board IN (123,266,346,325,31,56,186,187,62,63,119,121,72,151,267,51,122' at line 3

Different error than OP posted above when he attempted upgrade.  Restarted upgrade to run from last completed step, finished successfully.  Forum came up in old 1.0 RC5 theme, after some dicking around, managed to get into Curve, but mainmenu was borked.  Had to go offline at that point, just got back to it now.  Tonight did clean 2.0.14 install in different directory, linked to upgraded database.  Problem with themes, would not switch from Curve to Core properly.  Cleared cache, tried again, same problem, lot of files in cache again.  Checked cache setting, it was at level 3, disabled it, cleared cache, Curve and Core now working/switching normally. 

That's the background.  Forum is running here.  Everything seems to be working, but there are several minor glitches, don't know if they're significant:

- In Admin -> Support and Credits, we're seeing this -

Version Information:
   Forum version: SMF 2.0.14 (more detailed)
   Current SMF version: [object HTMLPhraseElement]
   GD version: bundled (2.1.0 compatible)

- In Admin -> Administration Center we're seeing this -

You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.

My forums are connecting to news normally.

- In Admin -> Themes and Layout, the theme select dropdown shows this -

Core Theme

Should show this -

SMF Default Theme - Curve
   Core Theme

Wouldn't be concerned by any of this if the upgrade had run without error, but the original database was damaged, and there was a mysql error during upgrade, so anything out of the ordinary is worrisome.  Any input would be appreciated.

Might also be helpful if a mod could mark this not solved.

- R. Waters

-Scott

This seems to have fixed itself overnight.  :D Thanks!

- In Admin -> Support and Credits, we're seeing this -

Version Information:
   Forum version: SMF 2.0.14 (more detailed)
   Current SMF version: [object HTMLPhraseElement]
   GD version: bundled (2.1.0 compatible)

- In Admin -> Administration Center we're seeing this -

You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.

Sir Osis of Liver

Hell, I'm even smarter than I thought. :)

You should get friendly with database backup, there's a backup utility in cpanel, lets you download gzip of your database.  Use it regularly.

Couple of huge server error logs you can delete - /public_html/error_log_sav (289mb) and /public_html/fishing_forum_sav/error_log_sav (245mb).  You're currently logging a few server errors from the portal, and your forum error log has quite a few password errors, portal errors, various undefined index errors.  You'll want to keep an eye on that when you've finished setting up everything.

There's an FTP account in cpanel and admin account in forum for Sir Osis, you may want to remove them if we're done.

Good luck with your forum.

- R. Waters

-Scott

Will do. Super big thanks for the help Sir! Sorry about that interesting mess.  :-[

Steve

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 26, 2017, 04:55:30 PMHell, I'm even smarter than I thought. :)

Oh lord ... that's going to require an extra 6-pack for you. :P
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: