How Come My Forum Won't Scale Down Automatically?

Started by stephenbrennan, September 27, 2017, 10:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenbrennan

hxxp:www.badmanfusion.com [nonactive]

I put this page together pretty recently. It's a relatively minor modification of the "Moving Company" theme. I'm not actively promoting it yet. On my Galaxy S8 the page width automatically snaps to the edges of the screen, showing the entire page and encouraging the user to zoom in on things he or she wants to see.

Yesterday I realized that it doesn't work that way on older phones. I broke out my S5 and sure enough the page displays at its full size when I browse to it there.

Now I could ignore it I guess, and trust that older phones will be phased out in short order. But then I noticed that another forum I frequent (www.kboards.com) displays just fine on the S5. Or "fine" in the sense that it zooms out properly. I'm not sure how they accomplished that.

Now, if I understand the Viewport concept correctly, the Viewport meta tag is supposed to take care of this exact thing. And so I added such a tag to my theme's code, like this:

echo '
   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=', $context['character_set'], '" />
   <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
   <meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title_html_safe'], '" />', !empty($context['meta_keywords']) ? '
   <meta name="keywords" content="' . $context['meta_keywords'] . '" />' : '', '
   <title>', $context['page_title_html_safe'], '</title>';

You see how I added it in there after Content-Type. The result is apparently enough to satisfy Google's "mobile friendly" page evaluator that I have in fact set a Viewport, but my website still isn't resizing correctly on older devices.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Illori

is that theme responsive? if not it may be better to find a responsive theme and use that.

stephenbrennan

Quote from: Illori on September 27, 2017, 10:59:27 AM
is that theme responsive? if not it may be better to find a responsive theme and use that.

It doesn't really say if it is or it isn't, so I'll assume it's not. But then only a handful of themes come up on Simple Machines when I search the word "responsive". There should be a way to make this work.

Arantor

The default theme hasn't changed since 2011 when "responsive" didn't really exist.

Try the Responsive Curve theme or find a theme that is responsive, as it is totally dependent on the theme.

br360

You can also have someone make your theme responsive. Take a look at this link- https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=541122.msg3846853#msg3846853

He does charge a small fee but does excellent work, and in my opinion it's completely worth it

stephenbrennan

Quote from: br360 on September 27, 2017, 12:37:08 PM
You can also have someone make your theme responsive. Take a look at this link- https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=541122.msg3846853#msg3846853

He does charge a small fee but does excellent work, and in my opinion it's completely worth it

Thanks! That could indeed be the easiest way to fix this. His fee is very reasonable, I may contact him today.

I was also just looking at this premium theme over at SMFTricks: hxxp:smftricks.com/index.php?topic=1411.0 [nonactive]

$25 and I'd need to tweak it to my specs, but it looks pretty good. I'll give both options some thought.

Advertisement: