News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Adding fonts

Started by melanie1986, September 28, 2017, 05:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melanie1986

This should be simple, but I can't figure it out. We did have this on our original board before our 2015 crash and restart, but since then its escaped me how to do it. I need to add several extra font choices to the board. How do we achieve that?

Arantor

Do your members have the fonts installed?

melanie1986

I only have the standard default fonts installed. As all four of my boards are sci-fi themed, I want to add several that are applicable to what we do. Such as the Stargate set for example.

Illori

if your users dont have it installed they may not see the font that you want to use.

melanie1986

User installed fonts? How does that work? I'm talking about adding to the board font set. See attachment.

Illori

yes if the computer viewing the site does not have the font installed it will fall back to a default that they can view.

melanie1986

Ah, okay I get that. So it can be done then, I mean add to the default fonts?

Arantor

It can but it won't show up for anyone except you in posts.

melanie1986

Easily fixed, I just make a global announcement for everyone to instal 'x' font :D

So how do I do it?

Gluz

There are ways to use different fonts, from the ones almost everyone have but is not in the list (like "Papyrus"), to webfonts (like the ones available in fonts.google.com), to upload a font to your FTP and add it to be loaded for everyone (mostly, not all fonts can be loaded in all devices).

It really depends on what font you want and the license of that font.

melanie1986

two fonts, the Stargate font and BSG. both are free to use

Gluz

If they are free to use on a web page as well, and don't have a code like Google Fonts to use them as web fonts, then you have to download them to your computer, upload them to your theme directory in a new directory in /Themes/your_theme/fonts (so, inside there should be the files .ttf)

Next, open the file /Themes/your_theme/css/index.css and add this to the beginning:
change the name to the actual name of the file and the name of the font
@font-face {
    font-family: 'here-the-name-of-the-font';
    src: url('../fonts/here-the-name-of-the-file.ttf') format('truetype');
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
}

(this is for the page to load the font)

Then open the file /Themes/default/GenericControls.template.php:
Code (Search) Select
\'courier\': \'Courier\',

Code (Replace) Select
\'here-the-name-of-the-font\': \'here how it should appear\',

Finally open the file /Themes/default/scripts/editor.js:
Code (Search) Select

'Arial',

Code (Replace) Select

'here how it should appear',
'Arial',

With this, the fonts should appear in the editor and selecting them to use in a post should make them appear for almost everyone, as I said, some fonts have issues in some devices.

Arantor

This only applies if the fonts are marked suitable for installation via CSS, not all fonts are.

djoos5

What if you are running the 2.1 Beta 2? The GenericControls.template and the editor.js do not have the searched code to replace with your suggestions.

Thanks for any help!

Quote from: Gluz on September 29, 2017, 05:18:42 PM
If they are free to use on a web page as well, and don't have a code like Google Fonts to use them as web fonts, then you have to download them to your computer, upload them to your theme directory in a new directory in /Themes/your_theme/fonts (so, inside there should be the files .ttf)

Next, open the file /Themes/your_theme/css/index.css and add this to the beginning:
change the name to the actual name of the file and the name of the font
@font-face {
    font-family: 'here-the-name-of-the-font';
    src: url('../fonts/here-the-name-of-the-file.ttf') format('truetype');
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
}

(this is for the page to load the font)

Then open the file /Themes/default/GenericControls.template.php:
Code (Search) Select

Code (Replace) Select
\'here-the-name-of-the-font\': \'here how it should appear\',

Finally open the file /Themes/default/scripts/editor.js:
Code (Search) Select

'Arial',

Code (Replace) Select

'here how it should appear',
'Arial',

With this, the fonts should appear in the editor and selecting them to use in a post should make them appear for almost everyone, as I said, some fonts have issues in some devices.

Illori

then you should open your own topic in the correct board so you can get further assistance.

djoos5

I was just following the theme of this thread and using the instructions given by the previous poster Gluz.

But thanks for the curt reply - it was tremendously helpful.

Illori

since you are not using SMF 2.0 and this topic belongs to someone else you are best to open your own topic in the correct board to get the answer you want.

Steve

Quote from: djoos5 on December 11, 2017, 04:25:20 PMBut thanks for the curt reply

It was not 'curt'. It was short and to the point. With the number of posts you have you know how things work. ;)
DO NOT pm me for support!

SaltedWeb

On your font, thingy ( yes I said thingy ) if members are going to need fonts might want to add a link in the agreement
area or somewhere noticeable, and have ( if license use applies ) on your own server so members will know its from a safe source.
Making an announcement might work for current members but having a link in plain view could enhance their visiting for current and future members. Just my two cents.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: melanie1986 on September 29, 2017, 03:01:06 AM
two fonts, the Stargate font and BSG. both are free to use
Hi, did you manage to get this done, or do you still need assistance with this? :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: