News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Duplicate email notifications

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, September 30, 2017, 12:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

I've noticed this on many forums, admins receive two of each notification emails.  Anyone know what causes it?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

what kind of notification email?

i have personally never seen this issue.

Kindred

I, too, have ever seen this issue, despite being an admin on at least 10 different smf sites
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

New registration notifications, newsletters, pretty much anything sent out via email.  I've been admin on dozens of forums, and this has been pretty common throughout 2.0 branch.  Don't believe I've ever seen it on my own forums.

- R. Waters

Kindred

I don't know what forums you have seen it as "common" on - because I've been running 2.0 since alpha days and have never encountered it...

so, nope... not something we have really seen or know about.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Can't replicate it on my forums, will have to wait until I get something from another forum, will check the email headers.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Just received duplicate emails from a 2.0.14 forum.  It's a newsletter, everything in header and content is identical except X-CMAE-Envelope:.

- R. Waters

aegersz

I did some searching and there are a few reasons for duplicate emails.

I can't imagine that it would be caused by SMF but ...

Can you momentarily "break" the email interface (select SMTP with bad options or whatever), enable queueing and see if the duplicates are in that queue ? (by recipient, for example)

I know it's not practical or convenient but it could be a good place to start if it's bothering you.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Sir Osis of Liver

Just curiosity, I've seen this on forums I've worked on, never on my own.  Duplicate emails are only sent to admins.  In this case, I also have a regular member account (not admin) with different email address.  Regular member received one email, admin two, all three with identical timestamp.  It's not random, forum is doing something it shouldn't, be interesting to know why.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: