News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Smf not installing on the right site

Started by mithrandylan, October 01, 2017, 10:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mithrandylan

Do you have any advice on how to successfully install in this situation (sorry, I am very new to all of this and I hope I make myself clear):

I managed to successfully manually install smf.  The problem is that I have two website (mywebsite.com and yourwebsite.com [nofollow]).  Mywebsite.com [nofollow] is my primary website, yourwebsite.com [nofollow] is going to be the forum-- but they are totally unrelated sites.  And when I installed smf in the directory for yourwebsite.com [nofollow], it installed it to mywebsite.com [nofollow] instead.  So I could only access the forum by going to mywebsite.com. 

Does that make sense?  I use bluehost for each.  Please if I can clarify feel free to ask any questions.  I am very new to this and the jargon throws me for a loop some time.

Kindred

how have you separated those sites?
Are they in the same directory structure in your hosting?

The only way for that to have happened is if you installed from the "mywebsite" URL or if your attempt to use "yourwebsite" is actually some sort of forced redirect instead of an actually defined site.

also -- what version did you actually install and HOW did you install it? (specifically, did you use our installer or did you use some "autoinstall" from your host?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mithrandylan

Quote from: Kindred on October 01, 2017, 10:40:03 PM
how have you separated those sites?
Are they in the same directory structure in your hosting?

Honestly, I'm not sure.  But if it helps, when I go to cpanel file manger I get an option to choose  "Home Directory," "Web Root," or "Document Root" for [in a drop down box] either mywebsite or yourwebsite.  Regardless of which option I select or if I select mywebsite or yourwebsite, the structure is always the same.  It looks like this:

(/home8/)
   cache
   etc
   logs
   mail
   perl5
   public_html
   ssl
   tmp

QuoteThe only way for that to have happened is if you installed from the "mywebsite" URL or if your attempt to use "yourwebsite" is actually some sort of forced redirect instead of an actually defined site.

I should add that the only way I was able to run install.php was by entering mywebsite.com/install.php [nofollow] -- I was hesitant to do this at first but (foolishly) optimistic that the install would happen on yourwebsite.com [nofollow]

Whenever I attempted to access mywebsite.com/install.php [nofollow] I got a 500 error. (file permissions are all correct and I WAS able to run the install through mywebsite.com [nofollow] so I know it isn't a permissions issue (or at least I doubt it is).

Quotealso -- what version did you actually install and HOW did you install it? (specifically, did you use our installer or did you use some "autoinstall" from your host?

I did initially do a "one click" install and then immediately uninstalled after I realized all the possible problems.  Then I spent a few hours on the site reading and I followed the instructions provided here.  I installed the most recent version. https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing#Extract_the_SMF_Archive_and_Upload_the_Files_to_Your_Website

Kindred

yeah....  -- so, you don't actually have two sites.

You have one site -- and an add-on site within the same domain/hosting account and it includes a redirect that bounces attempts to hit yoursite to the correct directory.  Since that won't actually work for the installation, because of the 500 error, you need to talk to your host.
Any attempt to install the forum on mysite WILL install on mysite. period...  that's how it works.
in order to install on yoursite, you would need to run the install FROM the yoursite url.

500 errors are server side errors and will need to be explained/dealt with by your host. (that's what you pay them for, afterall)

also, I am assuming that you tried to install 2.0.14 and NOT the 2.1 beta...  (in which case, you poted to the wrong board - I have moved the thread)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mithrandylan

thank you for the expediency.

I will contact blue host, what is the best thing to ask/tell them?  to make the issue clear and cut to the chase.

mithrandylan

I contacted bluehost and had them switch my 'primary domain' to be yourwebsite instead of my website. I suspect-- or hope-- that by doing so, those redirect issues won't happen. I'll report back later if it worked so in case anyone else has the issue they can know.

mithrandylan

Just in case anyone runs into this issue-- switching the primary domain solved the problem! 

FYI, it created a new problem with my other site (wordpress).  I had to delete the other site and rebuild it.  With a bit more work and attention perhaps I wouldn't have had to delete it, but it was a simple site and I judged that it would be simpler to just rebuild it than try to get it fixed.  But the lesson is that if you run into this problem, have bluehost make your primary domain the domain you want to install smf on.  That fixed everything for me and I'm stoked.

Advertisement: